Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mechanical to hydro clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sf_wood, Oct 26, 2005.

1. sf_wood

sf_wood Registered Member

i got a 1977 k10. i want to convert to hydro? exactly what parts do i need and where can i get them. does anyone have a diagram of where i drill hole in firewall.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are two dimples on the firewall where the master cylinder needs to be. Check out the write up detailing the swap on the tech page... tons of good info. I got the slave bracket and landcruiser slave from advance adapters. It works perfect.

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Clutch Shift Fork 15592270
    Clutch Fork Pivot Ball 15592268
    Hydraulic Hose (master to slave cylinder) 15537760
    Flywheel, 168-tooth, Steel 10105832
    Pilot Bushing 14061685
    Throw-Out Bearing 15613306
    Dust Shield 15521936
    Bellhousing 15530202
    Slave Cylinder 15615868
    Master Cylinder 15615867
    Clutch Pedal 15592273

here is the part numbers and prices for gmpartsdirect.com

4. sf_wood

thanks guys!!!! :D

5. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

id like to note older trucks dont have the firewall dimples

balzer

6. sf_wood

i ran those part #s .. WoW! about 600-700 to get those new. Does anyone know of a cheaper way. :(

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get a used setup.

Nothing is worth replacing just to do so other than the throwout bearing, slave and master cylinders. Those are probably $150 from Napa etc.

I don't think I've missed any other "throwaway" parts from the system.

If you were very lucky, you MIGHT be able to reuse some of those pieces from a stock setup as well, but the master and slaves are just like brake masters, they tend to fail when you try and re-use them.

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Start scavenging your local junkyard. That's how i got my 465/205 combo with entire pedal setup and bellhousing for cheap... about 200 if i remember correctly. I bought the master and slave cylinders, stainless hose, and slave cylinder bracket from advanced adapters. Don't let the price keep you from doing the swap. It's worth every penny.

9. sf_wood

what year trucks can i get those parts from 85-87 ? does any one have a template for the firewall? i have a 77 k10 mechanical linkage, it does NOT have the dimples for master cylinder positioning. also do i need to get complete pedal assembly or just clutch pedal?

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Since i have a '72 k5 i searched the first gen forum and come up with some ideas from burt4x4..
    I got an '87 chevy 1 ton clutch master cylinder. Cut the end of the pushrod off and used a die so i could thread a 1/4-28 threaded rod end to adjust for pedal height.
    Then i got an '80 toyota slave cylinder.. and fab'd a bracket out of 1/4" plate off of 3 bolts on the bellhousing- locating the slave inline with the clutch fork. the two lower bolts going into the engine block, and the third bolt being the ball stud i removed for factory linkage.
    I also had to use a stock '72 k5 straight cast clutch fork, not the newer stamped steel stlye with a bend to em.
    All i had to find was a 10mm fitting for the master cylinder, and a brakeline to go from the master to the slave.. bleed it..
    ... and i was in business.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

You can get it in the V series 4x4 as well. The 4 speed was optional in the K5's, Burbs, and 1 ton c&c's up til and including 1991.

12. sf_wood

so 85-91 ,any truck that had a stick(sm465). but what about pedals???what is the v series?

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

need to find ya a donor truck... the entire pedal assembly in your truck comes out...and you bolt the other one in.. I bought a 1985 GMC Jimmy fullsize for $100... took tons of parts and also sold parts... so got all my parts "fo" free and made a couple o bucks :haha:

cool parts about a donor truck is you get all the cool brackets and everything too

[​IMG]

14. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

When I did my hydro conversion, I used the kit from Novak...but it was junk. I had to get a little custom with it. Either find the parts used, or get creative and piece them together, or pony up the $$ to do it right. If I had it to do again, I'd get a factory hydro bellhousing (I found one at the junkyard for $20 the week after I got mine running) and then a slave cylinder/master cylinder/ line setup from the parts store with a warranty and make it work on my truck.

15. RootBreaker

or goto car-part.com and search for a bellhousing.. then call them and say.. hey I also need the slave cylinder and up... do you have the pedals too??? the pedals is where they might get $$$$ due to labor time... but you may get all other stuff cheap....

16. RootBreaker

aight quick search....

Transmission Bellhousing Only
    Chevy Truck C10 CLUTCH PEDALS ONLY NOF $25 John's Industries Inc. USA-MI(Caspian) E-mail 1-800-332-3450

well at least $25 for the pedals!!!!! gonna go quick i bet... someone here probably already bought them :haha: