Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mechanical vs. Electric Fuel Pumps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jan 7, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

OK, I think I may have just gone thru my second Summit electric fuel pump... [​IMG] Do I have to stay electric, or can I go mechanical to avoid this PAIN of replacing my fuel pump every other month?

Why stay electric on a carb'd motor? The only thing I can think of is security... I run a hidden switch to kill the pump when I'm leaving the truck anywhere questionable. I could just as easily switch the coil + too...

Thanks all... [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I say go mechanical and loose the headache.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Since you don't have the stock '87FI motor in your beast, I'd go mechanical. Heck, I'd go mechanical if I could on my TPI motor [​IMG]...........

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Home Page</a>

4. KRAZIE87K5

Then which mechanical pump to buy? I've looked at a few... Edelbrock and BG. Holley probably has one too. Anyone out there running any of these have nothing but good stories to tell? Or bad stories too for that matter [​IMG]!!!

5. KRAZIE87K5

Re: Mechanical vs. Electric Fuel Pumps *DELETED*

Post deleted by KRAZIE87K5

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I had a pretty rowdy 454 in the '75 Blazer I used to have, put an Advance Auto Parts pump in it and never had a problem in the two years I owned it............seems to me a mechanical fuel pump does not need to be a name brand. Unless you're revving that rat way high I'd check the difference in price between a name brand and a stocker and make the decision.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

7. KRAZIE87K5

That's a very good point... but I'm not sure that I can get a refund out of Summit for the pump I bought from them - so I might be stuck taking a Hi-Perf. brand name pump... which is just fine too. [​IMG] If I can refund, I will go that route!

Just in case though, can anyone give any quick feedback on the three pumps I mentioned previously?

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dont forget carter, run a return line type regulator

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

holley blue pumps work great. The first one I had lasted 3 years in the firebird. The only thing I had to do once in a while is pull the bottom cover off and clean it out since I run the original tank so its got a lot of crap in it :) Its easy to clean the veins out (4 bolts)and the gasket is reusable. DONT USE BG JUNK. everyone I know that uses barry grant has had nothing but problems and try to get rid of it fast.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. KRAZIE87K5

Well, I took out the electric and am returning it to Summit for a refund. I went to AutoZone and bought the mechanical pump and pushrod for $20. Installed it in 1hr in the 30* driveway, and she started right up! And as for the BG pumps, I was never into paying out $200+ for a elec. fuel pump.

For the 454 I bought a pump for a '70 Chevelle w/a 454. It works with no issues.

Thanks for everyone's replies! [​IMG]