Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sapper, Nov 14, 2006.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sends chills down my spine to think about the sacrifice he made.

BZ CPL

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

First one to a Marine since Vietnam. Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon were awarded Medals of Honor posthumously for Somalia. I think that a soldier in Iraq was also awarded one, or at least recommended for one.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

AFAIK this is the first in Iraq. There was a Navy SEAL who died recently doing the same thing.. in Iraq. He earned one also IMO... we'll see if he actually gets it. IMO there have probably been a lot of guys who have earned them in Afghanistan or Iraq but haven't got them. Same is true with all wars I suppose. On Iwo they gave out 23... they could have given out 123 without discrediting what the Medal of Honor is all about. Sometimes there isn't a good (or living) witness... sometimes there is some kind of issue between the guy who should get such a medal and his CO or something... kinda sucks.

At any rate, the Marine Corps is what it is because of guys like Cpl Dunham. A lot of people I have met don't understand what would make a guy do something like that... those people more than likely have never been part of such a brotherhood... forged in war, and bathed in blood. There is no closer bond in the human experience than that between brother warriors.

[​IMG]

j

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm going to move this one to the Lounge, brothers......

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was there at the dedication ceremony for the Museum. The President gave a great speech on him (brought tears to this man's eyes) and on the Marines as a whole. It was a fantastic day.

I am glad to have been a part of the construction of the Museum. It is an amazing place, a true treasure. Everyone should go and see how great it really is. Lots of cool stuff to see and very realistic.

www.usmcmuseum.org

John

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

x2 definetly.

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

This is the first Marine one in Iraq, but is the second of the war. The first went to an Army Plt Sgt who held off a bunch of Iraqi's from a disabled Bradley till support arrived. I believe his name was Smith