Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Medium Duty Chevy truck front clip for more tire clearance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Sep 20, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

It seems to me that I have read /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif somewhere that you can use the front clip off of a medium duty Chevy truck to gain extra tire clearance without modifications. Since the trucks shared the same cabs, it should bolt on OK too. Has anybody heard of this or seen it done? WV is such a PITA /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif with their modified inspection process. They are very picky about tires sticking out. I think those MD trucks had bigger wheel openings and wider fenders, maybe?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm those wheelwells would cover a dually axle with big tires on it. Aka it would be too much tire coverage. I want to build myself a sick daily driven medium duty with rockwells. Doubt it would ever happen but would be cool.

3. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    umm those wheelwells would cover a dually axle with big tires on it. Aka it would be too much tire coverage. cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, how sweet would it be to be able tuck some nasty meats into those fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have thought about building a medium duty truck before too. I was thinking about get an old six cylinder truck and doing a repower with a 8.3 Cummins, now that's just sick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously though, would it be too much coverage if I used a dually Dana 60 up front? I was thinking about dually axles front and rear with stock humvee wheels, but with all that extra coverage, I could use regular offset wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmmm, I don't know for a fact but with a good deep offset(not hummer deep) I would think duallys would work out.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

There is nothing the same between C/K trucks and medium dutys except for the cab. The front clip setup is bolted to the radiator support and tilts forward and has two latches on the cab, nothing like our rigs. It would look bad and perform bad since it would seriously block your vision around the fenders. Simply put, it wont work without a bunch of work and it wouldnt end up at all like you want it.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why don't you just put tiny tires on for inspection?

7. steelsoldiers

Oh well it was just a thought. As for the puny tires for inspection, that would work, but then the State Police would pull me over and give me a ticket anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The cabs are different as well.