Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Meet 3-On-The-Tree Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

For those that haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mike. Here he is in all his glory. Great guy, super host, if you get a chance to meet him you won't regret it.

I went down to Gunnison, CO to help him assemble part of his new garage. Got a few pictures to share.

We did a little shooting on Friday, and I received some proper firearms instruction. Only got one covert picture of Mike with my Enfield. Everyone knows those old Marines love their pictures taken but it's a dicey prospect when they are armed. :D

The rest are garage photos. The assembly is a series of arches that bolt together. There are 7 pieces and 138 bolts per arch. It's about 31 feet long and 15 feet tall. Scaffolding is required and at least 2 people. The arch bases sit in a groove along the edge of the concrete pad. Unfortunately for us it snowed the week before I came out so we had to remove 6" of ice down the last half of the grooves. I think Mike spent about 2 hours hammering away with a sledge and crowbar. Temps ranged from 10 to 40 degrees throughout the days. Sounds cold but it isn't all that bad in the sun. Got all but the very last arch completely asssembled.

Anyway it was a good time. :thumb: My only advice coming away from this project is as follows: Avoid the blue tequilla bottle at all costs.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Few more.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

looks good,but..

Could you have built it later, when its colder and snowing more??..:rolleyes:

I started "erecting" my quonset in september '92--took me about 2 weeks alone,after a few friends helped me get the first 2 arches up..my building has 164 bolts on each arch from side to side--over 4000 bolts total!..took me months to grow new skin on my thumb and forefinger that I used to screw the nuts and bolts together with!..

I finished building the end walls in january,and I got frostbite a good many times while working in 20 degree weather putting them up!...I learned that just because you START building in June,does NOT mean it'll be all done before winter!...

I think I'd have poured gas in that trough and lit it to melt the ice!..I bet 3 on the Tree will be glad when its all enclosed, and he's got a wood stove going in there!..:crazy:

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

What are your plans for this monumental structure you have constructed? Shop or what? I like it how much does one of those run? Did you pour your own slab?

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nice....:D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's going to be a nice shop.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

This will be my multi purpose building. Woodworking and wrenching.
    Delivered cost was $5480- 25'X30'
    The slab cost me $6K

My wife will park her car inside this edifice, during the winter(no more scraping ice off windshield:D :D :D ).

Right now, I have a 70 K5 and a 70 T Bird waiting to take up residence.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

very nice brother.what are you gonna heat it with? my dad has an oil burner he got aboot 4 years ago. pretty sweet,it was like $2500.00 but being able to get free oil from garages all over town and burning your oil it pays for it self.quiet and clean also.oh yeah and a warrenty.:D

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I won't have permanent electric in till next spring. For now, I have the torpedo heater in the pics, a tophat propane heater, and another kerosene heater. The tophat puts out about 500K btus, just gotta get a bigger bottle to feed it.

If I put "permanent" heat in the building, the city will require me to insulate it ($$$$$), so temporary for awhile.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3OTT IS A STUD!

Wooooo!

11. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

damn your garage has more bolts then on the cars your parking in it

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not only bolts!...

Yes,lots of nuts and bolts in a Quonset building--mine has nearly 4000!..:eek1:

The weird thing about them is the arch panels are 10' long peices,along with a few shorter sections that bolt together to form an arch..each arch on my 20x40' building weighed 140 lbs--x 20 arches..the entire building weighed only 3500 lbs,and the arch panels could have fit INSIDE my Chevy van, or a pickup bed!..the vehicles I park in it weigh at least as much,my 82 K20 weighs nearly TWICE what the building does!..:screwy: ..the foundation holds it DOWN, more than UP!..

I'm glad I built mine in '92!--I paid 4,050 bucks for the building,1,750 for the slab,1,500 for the walls and footers in the foundation--I guess prices for concrete have soared--it was 55 bucks a yard for "fibermesh" concrete here back when I built mine,they did all the forms and pouring..would likely cost me 15 grand to build another like it today..:doah:

So far mine is uninsulated,and has only "temporary" electrical hookup..been using an extention cord from the house since I built it!..not too hard to heat,despite being thin steel walled--my wood stove gets it quite bearable in there,although not always "toasty"..anything beats being outside in the wind and snow!..:crazy: