Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

meineke dual exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Feb 16, 2007.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i just bought header reducers, cats and 2 flowmasters, i went to a shop my friend went to and they said "im not interested"...he seemed angry at the world...anyways, i heard of some guys here going to meineke and getting some good results, do u guys know any of the prices there? or any other shops that do a good job? o ya, if it matters its 2.5" and im going just for a 45 degree dump before the axel. thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since it is Federally (and likely state as well) illegal to do what you are asking, most "big name" places are very unwilling to do it. They can get fined, and so can you.

Not saying places can't be found, but you will be more likely to get the answer you want at a hole in the wall shop.

3. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

really? hmm...maybe ill try and find a small little hick shop,but thanks for the heads up man!:waytogo:

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I went to meineke, I took em the cats mufflers & tips, and for 100 or 150 bucks they provided 2.5" pipe and bent it all up. Did a really good job,keeping it tucked up nice & tight in the frame.

5. 70GMC

70GMC Registered Member

how is that illegal? he's not eliminating the cats or anything like that so whats the issue

6. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

That was my question as well. I basically did the same thing with an 83 Trans Am I used to have...and did it at Meineke.

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

He didn't mention what year so he could be ok. Basically if you are getting rid of any cats, O2 sensors, preheat ducting, etc it's probably illegal. Do your headers say 50 or 49 state legal? Off-road use only?:rolleyes: Does your state do smog checks?

9. TripleJ75

TripleJ75 Registered Member

Hey Shaun - I'm in CT too, as long as you have cats on it you should be all set! I've heard some good things about Meineke as well..

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

in my state the exhaust has to exit from under the vehicle, that may be what people are talking about. If that is the case just have them mount everything before the axle. then when you get home you can hack the ends and throw some turn downs on.

I had an exhaust bent up a my local Meineke. It was on a car, but I was very happy with it. They did exactly what I asked for.

My blazer has duals from a local place called Red Run that only does exhaust. I am not happy with it. I had them exit right next to the hitch. when they backed it out of the shop the tips were exactly the same distance from the bumper, BUT one was level and the other was pointed slightly down. They had 2 guys working on it. each guy did one side. Bad idea. basically one side came down over the axle and turned a 90* and ran straight out the back. the other side kind of sloped towards the back.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I asked them to rebend it. they put it on the lift and went after the tube with a torch and a broomstick. WTF! now the sloped side runs level but it exits 2" higher then the side that was straight to begin with. At this point I am amazed that they can be this dumb. I went there on the recommendation of my friend who sends all the jeeps he works on there. Duh! Heeps have single exhaust, it doesn't have to match anything.

Eventually they got it close enough and I got tired of not being able to step in and fix it the way I wanted.

They sell dual exhaust kits through summit or jegs or your local speed shop. about $100 for the pipe, you provide the mufflers and cats. I have that kit on my woods truck, it dumps right over the axle. You might want to check that out.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I checked his profile for vehicle year.

Anything that had cats is federally illegal to modify. (regarding dual exhaust anyways) You cannot remove OR add converters from original configuration, THAT is federal law. It doesn't matter what the state cares about, the feds will fine a shop just as quickly as state, and if I were a shop, I wouldn't risk a $10,000 fine (what they were last I saw) for $200 worth of work. Which is why many won't touch it.

I have a feeling very few feds check exhaust shops, it is probably more dependent on state enforcement, but I know shops in my area will not even talk about doing it over the phone, and the big names I asked before I knew the law wouldn't do it talking to them in person.

12. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i just dropped off my truck, i guess because its a k5 u need it all the way out because of the back seat and open cabin all the way back, the guys said they didnt want me falling asleep and not wakin up if i get stuck on the trail.:haha:o ya, its an 89 with blackjack headers, if any of u were curious. the guys there seem really cool so hopefully they do a good job....ill let you guys know when i pick her up later on today!

13. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i just picked up my truck and have been driving around for a while and it is awesome, its tucked up very nicely, hung well...haha very funny...and they painted it all black for me to give that little extra help agaisnt rust. if you find the right mineke that do a good job,then mineke is a good place to go.