Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

melted printed circuit

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

When I pulled the Orange Blossom Spcl. out of mothballs several years ago the printed circ. on the back of the guage custer was melted together at one location. I replaced it and the same thing happened. I have a new one on now, and have not plugged it back in. What can I do to check and make sure it doesnt melt this one too?
    Thanks!

"High compression engines take longer to start!"

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you have put bigger (higher watt) bulbs in that could possibly cause it due to the extra current draw. Maybe your voltage regulator is going bad and is spiking it. If that is not it there may be a direct short in a fixture that it powers and the fuse in the fuse box is too heavy as compared to the durability of the PC, so make sure you have the proper fuse in place and possibly prevent it from happening again. I would rather blow a fuse til I find the problem than have the hassle of the PC melting

Good luck.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

It depends on what part of the flexible printed circuit is fried. Likely, you have too much power going through one of the circuits for th board to handle. If you have a high-output alternator, for example, you could either blow out the flex board or the ammeter (which can handle about 60 amps, the board can't handle even that much). Take your time and look at the fried one to discern which circuit(s) are fried, then track down the bulbs, gauge(s), or whatever that is/are connected to that circuit and check them.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Any luck with any of that yet?

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)