Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

melted printed circuit

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had a melted printed circuit for the instrument panel? Would that be a voltage regulator? Is there a sure fire way to check systems before re-installing a new one to prevent this from happening again?
    Thanks!

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sounds like something shorted out and heat melted it.id check your wiring also before installing a new one.my truck also has wiring problems.the guy i bought the truck from liked to hack and splice all over.i had to run new wires under dash because i had a short.luckily the fuse blew before it had a chance to do more damage.

3. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Its a simple fix if it is one of the trace circuits on the board. I have fixed several with good results. If your not sure weather you have fixed the problem causing the short, make yourself a test wire with a light in fuse like 1 or 2 amp fuse. Scratch away the green coating covering the areas not burned on that circuit. You only need to do small spots on either side of the burnt and broken circuit.
    Once you have access to the metal trace, make sure it is getting power, and touch your little test wire to the bare spots. If the fuse holds, then your probrably okay. You can solder in some real light wire (like the a strand from a section of telephone line.) and only have to jump over the burnt section. This has worked for me many times.