Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Melted TBI wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jbs68, Mar 13, 2005.

1. jbs68

jbs68 Registered Member

hey all,
    i pulled of the air cleaner lid today and happen to notice that one of the wires (green, i think) that hook up to the driver side tbi injector unit - appeared burnt. In fact, it is- and a good portion of the plastic connector(s) were melted along the side. Dangit!:mad:

Anyway, still starts, and fuel is still running thru the injector. I plan to get it fixed - maybe go down to the junkyard and pull the wiring and connectors i need...

My questions:
    1. Wha happened? why'd it burn?
    2. How dangerous is it for me to be driving around like this until i can get it fixed??

i wonder how long i have been driving like this.:confused:
    thanks,
    james
    87 chevy blazer, 350tbi

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

If you want to just fix it yourself all you need is wire crimpers and crimp connectors. Would be better to have a new wire but crimp connectors will work just as good. Only thing i could think that would burn it is a backfire at one time or another up through the tbi or the rubber thing that holds the injector wires in the correct position wasn't doings its job.

Its not dangerous as long as you start it with the air cleaner on but your electrical system is at risk with bare or shorted out wiring.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dont use crimp connectors on FI/ computer stuff.

Solder the connection and shrink wrap, is the only way to go. Your connections must be water tight as possible.
    All I can think is you may have had a short or backfire as said.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Yeah my solderer doesn't heat up for some reason anymore so i crimped it then electric taped it up until i couldn't elec tape no more.

don't mean to hijack but i noticed there are wires on the sending unit in the gas tank that aren't water/ gas tight. HOw does it not blow up? I soldered and shrink tubed it when i extended the pump wires to the inline but it broke after that.

5. jbs68

jbs68 Registered Member

well, thanks for the quick replys. i just wanna make sure i can drive it around a bit and not be in grave danger!

i tried to take a pic, in the dark, after a couplea beers, so its not very good. but you can get the gist of it. it was the blue, not green as i originally said, wire. you cant see much, but you can tell that the connector is damaged/melted.

now if only i could figure out how to post it.
    thanks again!
    james