Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

members favorite trannys

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by pavo, Jun 20, 2002.

1. pavo

pavo Registered Member

i think my stock tranny is going th die, just wondering if people could point me tward their favorite tranny as a replacement in a 6.2 82 blazer? cost is as important as long term performance. I will have it for off and on road use, some highway driving with pulling a boat. i think its 700 now

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Are you asking for brands or actual transmission types? What are you currently running? Are you looking at new, used, or rebuilt?

I absolutely love my 700R4 in my C-20. I've had them all, 400, 350, 700, SM465.....the 700 is my favorite.

If you go used, get a 700 out of a '89 or newer truck....they're the toughest and best built. Mine is a wrecking yard special, out of a 1990 model truck. I've abused it for over five years now, and it's never given me a moment's trouble.

Casey

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What do you use your truck for? You should pick a tranny that suits your driving style and needs. Do you put on lots of highway miles? Or is your truck strictly a trail rig?

If you give us a better idea of how you use your truck we'll be able to help you better.

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

The TH700 is also my favorite. The first geare is fantasticly short and the OD makes possible a comfortable driving. If one uses little bit its brain, The tranny is also sufficiently durable. The transmission should not be from a too late series, because I believe they are electronically controlled after 1989.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Favorite = 4L80E

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 700R4 was not electronically controlled until 1993. Then they changed the name to 4L60E.

The '89 (or 88?) and newer models do utilize electronic speedometers, but that is easy to change.

I've never owned a 4L80E, but from what I've gathered, they are probably the best transmission GM ever built. Also the most expensive, and it requires a computer.

Casey

7. René

René 1/2 ton status

I meant that the lockup is electrically switched...
    Isnt the 4L80E a further developed TH400 with overdrive? It came in 1991 and only for models with 6.5l TD, or with GVWRS 8600 lbs. and above.

8. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    I have the Th700r4.It works fine,you never noting any hit when it changes the gears.The OD range is pretty.I,ve heard the best units was built in 1987 and after.The earlies 700s was worst than 87´to add.Is this correct?

9. René

René 1/2 ton status

The TH700 was constantly developed and improved. But I must warn for the early automats (1982-84). Their main shaft was only 22mm. thick and the remaining construction units also not very stably. 1987 were the year of the big changes. The modification covered 33 points. Until 1987 the lockup was hydraulically switched, therefore these transmissions are suitable very well for the build in on older vehicles. Then 1987 and 1988, the Lockup was electrical, but its possible to changes. Afterwards the fourth drilling in the Valvebody is missing. In the case of an overhaul of the transmission you can insert the technical conditions of the later types without problems.

For European traffic you should make some changes outside of the transmission, because the largest enemy of the TH700 is heat. If you use the largest oil cooler and in city traffic without the overdrive, then the TH700 is a very good transmission....

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've never owned a 4L80E, but from what I've gathered, they are probably the best transmission GM ever built. Also the most expensive, and it requires a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Allison might give it a run for it's money.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Has anyone swapped a NV4500 in behind the 6.2 or 6.5?

Rene

11. René

René 1/2 ton status

Thats it Rene. ALLISON not from GM. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I almost wonder if GM actually MAKES the rest of these transmissions........ I mean do they REALLY do EVERYTHING that goes into a transmission? Or is Allison the only one that we actually know does not get the GM badge?

but I have to agree- if I had my choice on transmissions to put in a GM- or one that comes in a GM I'd have to say Allison, but then again, I'm partial to my D/A. Best darn transmission to have as an option with a new GM truck.

Brandy

13. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

my vote goes to the SM465... not the best trans behind a 6.2 for drivability, but its sweet off road and is bomb proof.

Also, Allison is a division of GM.

Quote from Allison's website which is on www.gm.com as one of there companies:

"In 1928 Jim Allison died, and Allison Engineering Company was put up for sale. General Motors purchased the company in 1929."

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Kewl...

Doesn't GM own just about a piece of everything now?

Rene

15. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

NO, unfortunatly GM spun-off its axle dept. as American Axle. So our beloved 14-bolt axles (and the front IFS diffs. and 10-bolts) are no longer "GM" axles but American Axles. From what I hear Dodge will be using the 11.5 14-bolt in their heavy-duty pickups... Dodge was also in talks with Allison to use the 1000 in their pickups since they don't have a 5-spd auto, but they walked out on talks (and kept their crappy 4spd?!?!?). It would have been cool to see a GM trans in dodges and in Fords (they use allisons in the F550s + F650s)

16. René

René 1/2 ton status

Nowadays, a company cant develops everything self. All of them are linked somehow with one another.
    I dont understand, why Dodge wants to insert Allison transmissions? Mercedes has very good 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions for light trucks. But who knows?