Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

memory. part II

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 27, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I had a thread a long time ago on my memory and how to memorize and remember things. I can't find it.

Anyways...

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I have a hard time remembering things.

For example. I was trying to help my mom's "boyfriend"'s daughter with some math homework via the internet because she couldn't get it. I SHOULD beable to easily help her, shes a year younger, and I was stumped on the question.

This isn't what worries be though.
    What worries me is when I go to University...
    I heard they test you only at the end of each different section. They don't have little quizzes or anything to help you remember. So instead of having to remember a weeks worth of work, I have to remember a month or two of work? Math especially is going to royally kick my butt.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do?
    From the last thread, people suggested reading out loud or reading to myself. And haha that's all I remember.

When the stuff gets harder I can always review it more often to refresh myself, but that still doesn't always work.

I'm sort of just thinking out loud. I don't really know if this is a problem I should worry about or not. I just felt like an idiot when I couldn't help her at all.

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

My best advice, hang up the old life for awhile and become a dedicated study machine. I'm just like you and I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. Keep good notes on each weeks lessons, so that way whena test comes up, you will have a good record of what material to study. Every night when you finish the nites assigned homework, review a little of what you have done up to that point.

Don't worry, eventually it will all end, and you will never have to use that crap again.

Mostly.

I learned Russian in one year when I was in the Army. They sent me to California to the Defense Language Institute. Class was 8 hours a day, total language immersion. Every night we were responsible for learning 75-100 vocabulary words, plus grammer rules. If we couldn't pass the vocab quizzes the next day, you got sent off to Infantry School or something equal to that. Something inside me had to die to make it through all of that, but once it was dead, it got easier. And it did eventually end, and it was well worth it.

Al

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for the tips.
    I try to look over my notes, but when I do I usually stare at them and decide I know it so I quit...

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sorry Stave I can't help ya, I carry ID just so I can be able to tell people what my name is and how old I am and so I can find my way home.Trouble is I can't leave the house til I find my wallet...

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Tr to make it interesting by application

I remember little that is not intersting

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It all depends on your professors at college. Some assign homework every night, and some never assign homework. Some have strict attendance policies, some have no attendance policy. Some have little quizzes and some dont. Most professors have 3 or 4 major exams through the semester that count the majority of your grade. Most professors also give you a detailed syllabus for the whole semester that lays out reading assignments, homework problems, quizzes, and exams.

As for remembering things, just try to review the material every day. A lot of college professors do long class lectures and i can somehow remember that very well. The bad part is, most often, only about 50% of the exam questions come from in class lectures. The rest come from assigned reading (a lot) that professors never check to see if you read. So, attend class, take notes, then go home do the reading, and study your notes.

Most students "cram" before exams. It works for me. Its the only method ive ever used. I study really hard the night before a exam, then for about 1 hour before the exam to review, and it works. Im doing that right now for a business law exam i have tomorrow. I hope it goes well. Ive got a ton of material to cover....
    Well, good luck and i hope i helped you to get a view of how your professors are going to be, and how you might adjust to studying for that. Good luck!!
    -Harrison

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah for tests I study a bit each night (enough to understand it well) then on the night before I study for 2+ hours cramming everything I need to know so I know everything well. It usually works, worked really well last semester for math.

I had a biology test on everything from the starting of the semester, studied upwards of 2 hours each night (mon,tues,) then on wednesday I studied the whole afternoon/evening. I nicked by and got 86%. Worst than I thought I would get, but I'm still happy.

ANYWAYs my update for this thread:

I have figured out my problem. Anything mechanical I have a good memory for. When it comes to school, my memory is left out on the street. I torn apart a old warn winch almost 1.5 years ago and finally finished this month. Then I had to put it all back together and surprisingly it didn't take me long, my fingers did their magic and it was all back together without any guessing! So my memory is still working... haven't tested to see if it works yet though.

THANKS GUYS :bow:

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Don't feel bad about the math thing... I forgot how to add once in a math class... Like seriously, I couldn't add these numbers together and felt like an idiot asking the teacher for help...

9. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Chew gum while studying. Not necessary while testing though. I can go into the fine details of it, but it would probably bore....and no this isn't a joke lol. There is actually science behind it.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Looks as though,,,,,IT DIDN'T WORK, can't remember where the post is or was about,,,:D

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ugh I should have known I was going to catch crap from that thread:doah:

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

He's a member again

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you told him? This thread is about lack of memory after all....

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm back.

I have a story about my memory.

Back in april I started cutting grass again for this lady. I haven't been to her house for over half a year. Go to open her garden shed but it was still locked-it's a combanation lock. Without even thinking I punch in the numbers, and viola! it opened, FIRST TRY. So my memory is still working, it's just dormant sometimes.