Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Memphrica

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 beast, Mar 2, 2006.

1. k5 beast

k5 beast Registered Member

Well since I do live in what I percieve to be the worst city in the U.S., I'm installing a battery cut off switch and when I turned on the nut to take the positive wire off of the solenoid the damn thing went to pieces. So I took the starter off and tried to take the solenoid off and even after soaking in pblaster it still will not come off any suggestions, other than drilling and tapping. The starter is original more than likely as well as the solenoid and it's a 79 should I just replace them both?

2. absolute

absolute Registered Member

Why not... might even think about adding a ford solenoid mounted on the inner fender to keep it away from heat and dirt!

3. k5 beast

k5 beast Registered Member

Ford?

What this about mounting a ford solenoid? What type would I ask for? I use the local Napa store for most things. Could I leave the current solenoid attached and use the existing starter then add the ford solenoid? Also with all the length of wire I've added I'm concerned about the voltage drop. Should this be a concern?

4. absolute

absolute Registered Member

just get a Ford solenoid for any pickup, mine is from a 88 F-250. Use 2ga wire and don't use the Neutral safety switch if you go the 88 route. If your going to put a new starter in any way it will work fine! Also do a thread search for "Ford Solenoid" or "Hot Starts"