Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MEPR needs a tie rod

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by pvfjr, Feb 18, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The title says it all guys. Here's a picture of the style he needs, both tie rod ends thread into the center link.[​IMG]

2. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

recently replaced mine, 77 blazer, cant remember what the new one cost at napa, around 100 bucks, got the old one layin around here somewhere, its yours if you can come and get it, or, meet me at childrens hospital today, i will be leaving here around 8:30 and will be in seattle around noon

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

PM shane74...

j

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

All of mine I have right now are the two piece tie rods... one long end and one short. I have one other possibility up north on a 10-bolt under an '80. I just wonder what the year break was for the 2 piece vs. the 3 piece?

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks j!

Pvfjr - You have PM.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure. I was wondering if it really makes a difference though. As long as they're the same length and have the same taper on the TRE's, would they be swappable? His stabilizer mount looks the same as my '78 D44, so maybe anything would work. As always the junkyards around here suck and only seem to have 2WD trucks.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So what's the condition of your old one? What town do you live in? I'm sure he wouldn't mind a bit of a drive as long as you've got what he's looking for.

8. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i looked again and it is different, one long and one short but you are welcome to it if you think you can use it, pm me if you want. its a 150 mile drive though:blush:
    it would work as a spare, not the best of shape, it is straight though

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  9. mountainexplorer

I tried telling him that the other style would work... just buy the short end new for one of mine and run it for now with the long end used. At least it would be better that what he has now. But I think he feels that if it's that way, it needs to be the exact same. In this tie rod case, it doesnt matter much. Just make sure the tie rod is for a non-flattop knuckle front, so the ends will be designed to point the same direction as his (up instead of down).

I just told him not to sink any large amounts of money into the 10-bolt axles. At least tie rod ends for the most part are re-usable if he goes to 3/4 ton axles later on or even other 1/2 ton stuff with better gears.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well we eventually found a 3 piece at the junkyard, so hopefully that will work out. Thanks for the responses though.

Oh and Allan, are you gonna have another deal on axles like that one for Dillon anytime soon? I'd really like to have a 14FF, those little c-clips holding my axle together has always kinda bothered me. I don't have the rims though either, let me know what you got.

11. mountainexplorer

What gears? I would have had a set of 3/4 ton 4.10s from my "Green machine" trade, but I am trading them for a pair of 4.56's for another project truck.

They come around though once in a while. I'll have a 14-bolt rear for sure with either 3.73's or 4.10's. What gears do you have right now?

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I *think* I have 4.10's, but that's just speculation. I'll have to find out for sure one of these days.

13. mountainexplorer

If you have 4.10's, then I have a 14-bolt FF rear with 4.10's. Then you could just convert your existing front end to 8-lug.