Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mercedes diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Nov 19, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried to use one of these for a swap, blazer or other. They are all over the place here for cheap.

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

big diesel? small car diesel?

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Small car, 240's 340's and such (4 and 5 cylinder).

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

wouldnt be powerful enough for a k5, maybe for a heep tho...

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

not really the same size, but i have driven some of the newer "trucks" we have rented at work with those new Mercedes engines,,,,,,,the ones Freightliner is installing alot of their new stuff,,,,they SUCK, very low on power, engine brakes doesn't hardly work, just plain suck.

Again, not sure on the small car versions, but from what i have seen driving around, they don't seem to hardly be able to get out of their own way, and smoke up a storm when they are trying :p:

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if those cars are dogs, what is another couple thousand pounds going to do to performance?

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I can speak from experience (my brother owns a 240D and I own a 300D)...his is an inline 4 cylinder, mine is an inline 5 cylinder with a turbo. These motors wouldnt work in a K5. My brothers 240 barely moves (it does have 300K on it)...but only came factory with 67 horsepower. Mine does allright around town in my car, but would be severely underpowered in a K5. Wouldnt get it to move at all probably. They run forever (I have 250K on mine)....my brother worked at a mercedes shop and said he saw regulars in for oil changes with 400-500K on them.:eek1: They just dont have the power for a K5.
    -Harrison

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to add....it would be very hard to swap one in a blazer anyways. Those motors are almost completley vacuum controlled. They have vacuum lines EVERYWHERE! The are really easy to break, and if you break any vacuum line or have any leak somewhere, the car wont cut off unless you get out and hit the kill switch. The vacuum lines make it a pain in the arse for me to work on mine...and probably near impossible to transplant into anything.
    -Harrison