Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mercy for a virgin?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Plugger, May 6, 2003.

1. Plugger

Plugger Newbie

Honest I tried the search function...why is it you rarely hear of a 14 bolt being used up front? Always seems to be 14 in rear and D60 up front. Thanks Jason. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif <font color="black"> </font>

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, if you want to drive straight all day then go for it! But the lack of steering knuckles hinders most people...

I have seen a 14 bolt center section used with dana 60 outers but the size of the center section takes up a bunch of ground clearance.

3. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

14 bolts only come in rears from the manufacturer. If you saw a 14 bolt front its custom fabricated, most likely from the Wagoner Machine Shop. So while techinically they are made, as far as the average joe is concerned they don't exist.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Um, if you found a front center output transfer case, you just might be able to make it work. How would you steer?
    Oh you mean make a custom hybrid axle with knuckeles? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Think about how much more that would cost than a 3/4 D44 or 1 ton D60 front axle.

Did you do a search about the 12 bolt front /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif this has been discussed several times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for a 14 bolt front... They're out there, but i have yet to find one in a junkyard...
    -----&gt;[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif