Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

merry x-mas to me...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 25, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a surgery coming up, but I came upon some extra $pending money and decided to invest it in my rig. Check these babies out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats right, D60, 35-spline, non-necked down, 4340 chromoly super bling'in Yukon shafts. I'm gonna run them with the 4340 yukon super joint (D60 version coming soon...). That combo is guarenteed against breakage on the shafts and the center section of the u-joint. I didn't plan on getting new shafts for a while... but Bobby over at CCOR quoted me a heck of a price and I couldn't resist. :) Can you say TTC '07? :blush: :cool1:

j

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

NICE, wish I could afford to do that now but its not a priority.

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Sweeet.....I'm jealous.

4. jekbrown

actually, the shafts are pretty affordable... I got my full set for less than $400 + s/h. :grin:

j

5. CCOR

CCOR 1/2 ton status

Glad everything was to your satisfaction. We signed up as a Vendor so we should be easier to get ahold of now for the CK5 crowd.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I see red x's jek.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Me, too! Nice "presents" Jason. :haha:

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

The best price I could get was 469.00 total, but at least I found someone local, so I didn't have to add shipping to it.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Dont get the yukon joint. get the longfields. There lifetime guaranteed against ANY breakage. He said if the shaft breaks and takes out the joint it doesnt matter he will still replace it.
    I plan to get them soon.

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that might be kind of late advice since this was originally posted about 9 months ago. ;) good tip for the rest of us tho.

11. txfiremank5

Hey, silly.. you've already forgot, .. I got the Longfields a good while back. :deal:

:thumb:

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I know, I ment that for Jekbrown.
    I didnt notice that this was a grave thread:D

13. jekbrown

I like Longs... and they are good joints with a good warranty... but that warranty doesn't do jack to cover my Yukon shafts... and the Yukon superjoints will. Lifetime guarentee on inners, outters and the joint body? I'm all over that.

j

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I thought the Yukon stuff was only 5 year warranty against defects?

In other words, if you buy a full set of shafts and a pair of superjoints and you break them... they'll only warranty them if they had a defect.

If it's true that they have a no questions asked GUARANTEE then I'll probably buy them. Because I know I'll probably break them.

15. jekbrown

best way to find out would be to contact The Mac over on Pirate. I was reading a thread about the Yukon shafts / joints and his posts suggested to me that you got a lifetime warranty... but only if you used the two yukon products together. Maybe the 5 year thing applies to guys with CTMs or Longs etc....?? I dunno for sure.

j

16. CyberSniper

It seems that the first time you smoke a set in 5 years and it wasn't because of the joint (if not using their joints) then they replace it no questions asked.

So maybe I'll be buying a couple sets after all.

17. jekbrown

yeppers. I know they aren't the best shafts on the planet (cone? ctm?) but they are an outstanding bargain considering the price/product. Axle breaking machine busted one at the splines at around 12,000 ft/lbs. Thats about 50% more than a stock 35 spline dana shaft. Not bad. My weeny little 350 and body-less rig prolly won't break them. I'm not the type of wheeler who just hammers the gas whenever I get in trouble either... so all should be good. :thumb:

btw, I pm'd The Mac over on Pirate for clarifications about the shaft + joint warranty. Whatever he says I'll cut/paste here.

j

18. CyberSniper

Well, since January, Yukon shafts have gone from ~$470 shipped to almost $600 shipped (some people are still up in the $650shipped range). I think Yukon D60 superjoints have finally come down in price (were $350/pair, a lot more than Bobby Long's 300M joints). I think they're going for around $250/pair now.

You're talking around $800 shipped for Alloy USA shafts last I checked. Alloy USA + Longfield 300M joints = ~$1150 shipped. If Yukon shafts keep going up in price these are definitely the way to go since they both have no questions asked guarantees. But, if Yukon truly doesn't have a "we'll replace it if you break it" guarantee if you buy both their shafts and joints then I'm thinking that's the way to go in a non-comp rig.

The ultimate, by far, is Bobby Long's CV shafts. But at $2300, they're out of my price range since that is what I have budgeted for front AND rear shafts. I'm not worried about breaking the Yukons in the front, it's the rear that has me skeered.

19. jekbrown

yeah, i had heard that the price had gone up... I guess I got a hell of a deal buying when I did. :thumb:

j

20. txfiremank5

Yessum, I'd have to agree to that. I think the best "online" price I found, was at tellico4x4.com (think that's it). the stubs were 89 each, and the inners were 150 each. WOW nevrmind, I just went there to provide a link, and they are up to 99 & 180 respectivley. :eek1: I was looking at them a few weeks ago too. But, anyone still interested just search under 4340 and it pulls them up. I'm starting to feel that jekbrown feelin' now .. :wink1: Gald I bought 'em then too. I was lucky enough to get a local guy to match them.