Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Message from my boss about September 11th.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 10, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I work in New York City. My company had assets on the top of the world trade center that were lost. This is an email the president of our NY group sent out this morning. I edited some of the industry specific references in the original.

-----------
    Tomorrow marks the anniversary of a tragic day that affected all of us in this market. We have friends and family whose lives were somehow connected to that awful event. As we remember those innocent people that lost their lives, it is a time to reflect on the good that came from that meaningless act of terrorism.

When adversity hit, you saw what our neighbors, friends and fellow citizens are truly made of. New Yorkers showed they are STRONG, CARING and RESILIENT. The actions of the people in this town made me even more proud to be a New Yorker. I remember vividly the actions of our employees who volunteered their time to help in the relief efforts, There are many stories, too numerous to tell, that demonstrated and reinforced the character of the people, whom, we are lucky enough to work with here in this market, as well as, those employees from other markets that rose the occasion and raised funds for the families of the victims.

On September eleventh, tomorrow, we will remember the people who lost their lives that day, as well as, the family and friends who were affected by those losses. We will recognize the positive actions of our community as a result of that day. President Bush has called on all Americans to volunteer up to two years to public service. The Freedom Corp will help make it easier to happen. This is an organization that connects volunteers to the groups that need people to donate their time. It allows you to pick a charitable organization in your community that matches your interests.

For those of you who are uncomfortable coming to work on Wednesday, September eleventh, I would ask you to consider volunteering your time to a charitable organization in your local community on that day. Simply click here to start the process. http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/for_organizations/businesses/resources/index.asp

At 8:44, clearchannel radio stations will air "Tributes and Triumph" a two minute audio montage leading up to the moment of silence at 8:46 that will be heard across the country.

We never can make sense of the events that transpired a year ago and the lives that were lost. We can remember and reflect and be proud of the way we responded in the face of adversity. We should take the time to tell the people who touch our lives, how much we truly appreciate them and be thankful for the freedom we enjoy living in this great country.
    -----------------

Damn, I'm all teary again.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That's pretty cool.

Stay safe whatever you choose to do.

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

That really is such a great idea too. Thank you for posting that. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

pretty cool, glad to see that even people in new york can pull together about something...says something about america that most people thought wasn't possible /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

This is kinda off on a tangent, but sort of along the lines of a lot of posts today. Anyway,
    I have a question (or maybe just an observation), but:

How come every time there is a disaster (natural or man-made) anywhere in the world,
    America jumps up and sends all kinds of aid, be it money, food, equipment or human
    resourses (people) to help ease the suffering, but when something happens to us - all
    we get is film of fanatics wearing American made blue jeans and a NFL jersey shooting
    an automatic weapon in the air and shouting "death to the imperialists"?

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that? Kinda makes me want to go back to being
    a nuetral state (like the Swiss) the way we were in the 20's and 30's.

Mike /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ratch...just saved the Freedom Corp. link. And we ALL ROLL ON!