Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Messed up on gears!!!!!!!argueeeee

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gokartergo, Mar 24, 2001.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well I got a quote from a guy to redo my gears on my 10 bolts. $1150.00. I have 3.08's and wanted to go 4.56's. I was up at 4WPW buying some shocks last weekend. The guy gave me a killer deal on the ring-pinion. Normaly $139.95. He knocked them down to $99.00 each. The install kits are normally $49.00 He gave them to me for $29.00 each. And he only charged me $19.99 for each set of bearings. Well I got everything for just over $400.00. I was thinking I got a great deal. Then I went back to the guy that gave me the quote and asked him know how much he would charge me. He said nope. You didn't buy the gears from me so I won't do them. In this area I only found 2 other companys that would even do them. They both wanted $350.00 for the rear and $450.00 for the front. So know it would cost me more then if I would have had him do it in the first place. Well my brother is a mechanic. But he hasn't done any gears since he was in school. I talked him in to doing it with me. So we are both going to learn together how to replace gears.........And I thought I was getting a great deal. The only thing great about it is I am going to learn something.!!!!!!!

Become one with nature..........Then marinate it..

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Like the saying goes "Live and Learn" thats ok at least you will feel like you accomplished something after its all done.

JD

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Holy cow! I had an Auburn limited slip put into my blazer and the guy charged me 70 bucks, I supplied everything else, the bearings , the lube, the seals, the Auburn. The gears came off the old carrier so whats the difference? Call the fire dept where you live, I did, these guys are mechanics and builders and carpenters. Hell they only work 10 days out of the month. My tranny guy is a fireman, he charged me 450 to rebuild my 700r4 and 50 to reseal my tcase. Worth a shot. Good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well I know it is kinda a P.I.T.A. If you can remove the axles from the rig and take them to the shop your price will drop. This of course means you will have no wheels for a bit but it will save you $$$$.

[​IMG]

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think going from a 3.08 to a 4.56 would require a new diff. carrier. That may have something to do with the price difference.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. gokartergo

Do I need a new dif carrier?????????????

Become one with nature..........Then marinate it....

7. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

no only if you have a 12 bolt your 10 bolt does not change carriers and as far as the price the guys gave you they are way over priced i payed 350 for both front and rear with lockers front and rear here in el paso tx

NOT ALL HISPANICS DRIVE LOW RIDERS :-)

8. gokartergo

That is almost worth the drive there to get them changed........

9. gokartergo

Is there any special tricks to a 10 bolt. That would help me out????????

Become one with nature............Then marinate it..

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Something else you need to pay attention to in the future are what brands you buy. Not all ring and pinion sets are the same. Some "set up" fine and mesh well and others are just crap. For that price, it sounds like he gave you the crap ones. I heard Motive Gear is one of the worst. Richmond and U.S. Gear are my favs.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Why don't you buy the Richmond installation video, all the necessary tools, and then open a ring & pinion shop charging less than the other guys. I'm sure you'd make a lot of money.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Overall it isn't super hard, But I hate it... talk about a way to blow a day...checking clearences over and over is a huge pain. Hopefully if you keep track of the old shims and put them back in you should be pretty close

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

13. gokartergo

That is a good idea. I am going to buy the video. But no I am not going to open up a shop. I have enough headaches already........LOL

Become one with nature.............Then marinate it..

14. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I miss 3RD member carriers.

15. AMorris1

AMorris1 Registered Member

I'm in the same situation. Bought my gears from 4WPW ... you know the story. Me and a friend are going to attempt to put them in this weekend. I think I have all the tools. There are serveral good articles on the web about it. Try differentials.com and ring-pinion.com. Will let you know how it goes

16. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

How much does 4WPW want to install them? Seems they do a lot of gear installations here. Or did you mail order them?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

17. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Man I hope you have alot of patience and a bearing press and a bearing puller, getting the crush sleeve crushed properly is very important. I bought all of my stuff from Randy'sring and pinion - ring-pinion.com and recieved quality parts "us gear" ring and pinion timken bearings and everything else hell of a deal. I got pissed putting mine together dues to lack of knowlege and lack of proper tools IE, bearing press and puller. So i took it to the gm dealer and had them install it for 260$ best money I spent all year. Good luck and inspect your carrier really close as mine was cracked and didn't notice it till the last minute.

18. gokartergo

I'm trying to buy the tape from richmond gears but can't find it.

Become one with nature............Then marinate it

19. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.summitracing.com>http://www.summitracing.com</A> has it. Call them 1-800-230-3030

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]