Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Messed up threads for spring plate studs in Dana 60, please help!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 30, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Alright I broke off the threads out of one of the spring plate stud holes on my Dana 60. I just broke off about the first 1/4" of threads so there are still some left in the bottom (not enough to use permantly though). What do you guys think I should do?

I was going to get a stud, thread it into the threads left and have someone weld around the stud. However I can't find a 5/8 coarse thread grade 8 stud 4" long. Should I drill it out and re tap it to the next size (3/4")? Or what? I'm open to ideas. Thanks!

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There are quite a few threads down in there, seems like my studs went in at least an inch or more. Find some studs, you might be ok. I got mine from a local bolt supply (Copper State, they do ship, I can get you the number if you like).

If you really don't have enough left, you can drill and tap, but that will leave you making a top plate or drilling out the stock one (which may weaken it, don't recall how much material is there, may not matter). Another option is to drill it out and use a "thread cert". There was a thread a long time ago with discussions on "thread certs" vs. "heli-coils", etc. IIRC, thread certs were the winners...

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I stripped one of mine as well. I drilled and tapped both to 3/4" using a bottoming tap. Seem to work very well and have had no issues with it since. The 3/4 bolts are huge! Oh, I also used fine threaded grade 8 bolts.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You could probably use the threads that are left. it all depends how hard you use your truck but one thing for sure do not weld any studs, you will make the bolt britle and it will break.
    If it were me I would tap it one size bigger, I am sure there will be enough thikness for that more than an insert which needs a little more.
    IceMan

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Why did you use 3/4 fine thread, why not coarse thread like the stock ones?

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Probably because fine threads are much stronger and less likely to strip out again.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Ditto to BigDog's comment. Fine threaded hardware has more surface area contact.