Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Messy Oil Leak... I think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Jun 6, 2005.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

OK I'll try to make this short, last weekend I turned up my 85 k10's 350. New carb, plugs, wires, etc and an oil change. I had a slight drip from the oil pan before. Well I drove it friday morning, no problems, on my way home from work, something seemed odd and I popped the hood. There was fluild sprayed everywhere, the fan was wet so it had to have been flinging it. My first thought that it wasn't motor oil, but since I had just changed my oil it was clean. Well it seems like it must be coming out of the front of the engine, but I can find out where, it only does it when I am driving the truck and it makes a huge mess, and the front differentail is covered in oil also. The only thing I can think of is my timing chain cover. Any thoughts?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried operating the throttle by hand with it running and you watching?

Could be a higher oil pressure thing, or coming out someplace that oil only reaches with it being whipped at higher RPM's.

I "forgot" (wasn't my original block) to put a bolt in one of the holes on the front of the block near the fuel pump, and while it didn't leak while I was letting it idle, once I had it on the road for awhile, I had engine oil thrown over pretty much everything in the engine bay. I'm glad it was such an easy fix though! :)

3. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Could be a hairline crack in a power steering hose (if you have power steering) if not the front oil pan seal could be leaking onto the harmonic balancer and slinging oil.

4. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

thanks I'll have to check my power steering lines.