Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal Cutting tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikayak390, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I am thinking about adding a new toy to the shop. Specifically a plasma cutter. I want to run 110V at 20A or less. I want to be able to cut 1/4 or more with a clean quick controled motion.
    I have been thinking about the miller 380 the hobart 600, and the thermal dynamics machine. They seem to be the the best. Anyone ever use one, and any preference or reason to buy one over the other.

Also how do the cheap ones rate?

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my buddys fab shop has used them all, he says the thermaldynamics are the best. have more tecnology in there torches. he spent 2500.00 on one for home use that cuts 1 1/4!!!. they have smaller machines too, not sure of price though. now i dont need to buy one, my buddy lives right next door. :grin:

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I just bought a Hyperthrerm Powermax 380. I just bought it yesterday so I can't say for sure how well it works, but I have read that they are nice machines. It has a 3 year warranty on the machine and 1 year on the torch.

Clicky ---> Hypertherm

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

that is a very good plasma cutter. you really cant go wrong with any brand name machine, there all good machines for what any of your home fab guys need. for a fab shop that going to use one alot i would buy the best i could.

5. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I have the same machine, had it for over a year now. Works on 110 or 220 by flipping a switch. Doesn't cut 1/4" real clean on 110 though. I only run mine on 220 now. On 220 it cuts 1/4" like butter.
    Brent

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I use a miller, it was decent on 110V but did need more than 20A to cut 1/4" and didn't like to do it a lot. It has since been converted to 220V and blows through anything up to 3/8".