Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

metal fabrication ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Woodman89, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

I know that everyone here at one time or another has had to make or have made something out of steel. Brackets, mounting plates, adapters, etc.

A friend of mine runs this company up here in New Hampshire called Hydrocam. They have this machine there called a waterjet. It is a CNC cutting machine that works like a sandblaster (except it uses water instead of air). It mixes the water with sand and shoots it in a thin stream at around 40000 psi. The machine can cut plates up to 4 feet by 8 feet and is capable of cutting steel that is 2 inches thick! The edges come out perfect with no burrs and because the machine is computer controlled the tolerances are very precise. The only catch is that it can only cut parts out of plate-type stock.

They showed me a transmission adapter plate that they custom made for a guy out of 1/2" steel that was fairly complex. It looked great and they said that it only cost the customer 35 bucks! [​IMG]

Anyways, im sure that there are companies all over the place that have these waterjet machines, and it seems like a great deal if you do a lot of fabrication or need a large number of identical parts.

Here is a link to the Hydrocam website if anyone wants to check it out.

http:// www.hydrocam.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status