Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal Guru's Machinists, and Engineers Unite

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Apr 22, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I need to have a rack made for me. I simply need crossbars on which I will attach Yakima bike racks and kayak racks. The design must be able to support 200 or so pounds.

I am envisioning something that will fit over both the hard top and the softtop, so it will be bolted/clamped to and overhang the bedrail.

The green dotted line represents the top center line of the bedrail, the solid green line is the edge of the bedrail. The red is gussets that I would assume I would require.

Aluminum would be nice because I wouldn't have to worry about rusting, and maybe it would be lighter?

Can any knowledgable folks share some thoughts and design ideas I should be looking at. Would aluminum be feasible or should I go to steel for strength?

Gurus have at it! Thanks guys.

Oh yeah forgive the brutal dipiction :rolleyes:

Roof Rack.jpg

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I do not know what kind of wheelin' you do but your design as I understand it will not be condusive to trails.

If I were doing it I would create a hoop that attached to the rain gutter over the front doors and then has two legs that drop down to the rear bumper and run along the rear pillars of the hard top. They would be basically behind the vehicle but outside of the tailgate.

This would put everthing out of the way. You could also leave stubs and sleeves on the bumper so you could remove the whole things when installing the hardtop.

I still do not know how to post a pic in a thread so I can not offer you my idea visually.

If you want more information I can try to explain it better.

Lee

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Not bad ideas...I do intend to remove it for off roading though, the lower profile you suggest might work. I'll give it some thought.

Any other input? I am specifically am curious what specs of material I should incorporate into this design.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Burb here, so I'm not fam with K5 hardtop, but it looks like you'd need a cutout to get access to the rail, soft-top sure, hard-top cut? Aluminum, your back will thank you, designed correctly there will be no need for steel. Not fam with the soft-top hoops, but should be able to copy with modifications. With aluminum, welding workmanship may be just as critical as the design.:D

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

If I'm understanding correctly, the hoops of the rack will be outside of both tops. As for weight I was wondering if the guage of aluminum needed for strength would end up negating the weight benefit over steel.