Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal in Dana 60 WTF???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I just pulled the cover and carrier out of my 79 Dana 60 only to find a lot of metal inside. Not like the metal dust in gear oil but chunks of metal. It all seemed to be coming from the oil passage way from the pinion. The metal is not cast though like the housing metal but it looks like a thick pinon shim that has been chewed up and bent up. The pinoin however has NO play in, and spins smoothly. Does anyone have any idea of what this is? I haven't pulled the pinon yet (what size nut is it?) so I cant be certain and I was just wondering if anyone had run into this problem. Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

2. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

TTTA
    -fLeXy K20

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. If you pull it apart, it should be pretty obvious whats messed up.

Just ran out to the garage to check my D60 for ya.
    The pinion nut is going to take a 1 5/16" socket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I found that in my 44 a few years back. Up front towards the pinion oil galley. There were so many shavings there they were wedged together. looked everything over and nothing was amiss exept for the inside of the diff cover. It had chunks missing. The more I looked the more I realized it was left over from when the front R&P had busted and was not properly cleaned out by the guys setting up the new gears. Luckily it had stayed where it had been left.
    I know that is an outside chance, but maybe.

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah I pulled the pinion today and everything seems fine. Bearings are good, nothing is scraped up or anything. I dont get it. They look like it was part of a couple shims but I dont see anything missing. Could someone PLEASE PLEASE describe what the order of parts is when I pull the yoke and pinon out. What shims and where etc. PLEASE, because I have looked at the exploded diagram and still dont get it. Thanks in advance.
    -fLeXy K20

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dude if you pulled the pinion, i would have a gear head, set those things back up right, If you havent setup gears before then i wouldnt try to put that stuff back together, It might not setup right and you might end up messin somethin up just my .02...

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I agree with silver 84 K5, There are a "stack" of shim's, of varying thickness's, there is also a "oil slinger" to help keep oil in the rear pinion bearing. Before You put this back together, Find Yourself a service manual, or at least a good pic. of a 60 and make sure everything is where it should be.

Otherwise You'll end up with a Real Mess of "chunks". /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Why would I have to have someone set the gears back up? If I just tighten the nut back to where it was and leave all the shims where they were then wouldn't it be the same? I was talking to Greg? at offroad design today and that was he impression I got. I dont really care about the gears a whole lot (4.10's) because I am going to 4.88's in 3-4 months. So will it matter? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It's a matter of Pinion Depth [where the pinion set's in relation to the ring gear] Too deep, they'll burn, too much, they'll, chatter, clank, clunk, etc.

Could be the waste of a good gear set. At least get some set up compound [paste] and see what the pattern look's like?

It's Your Axle, do as You want. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

No I was just saying with the same shims and all wouldn't it sit right back in the same spot?
    -fLeXy K20

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It all depend's on the shimpack, that crap You found came from somewhere, and You should do all You can to find out where it came from first. Then set it up correctly, otherwise, You're just wasting Your time, the gear's will go south very quickly if not set to spec. Find a Gearman near you and have Him/Her, set it up, the extra $40.00-$50.00 buck's will be well spent. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> So long as you put it back together in the same order then it should be fine. Loctite the pinion nut and go for it. The 60s use shims instead of a crush sleeve so it's hard to mess it up so long as you put all the parts back correctly. I would try very hard to find out where the metal chunks came from, but if you can't see anything then just go for it, I would say. Might be a good idea to check the backlash, but it a shim came apart you would know it since there would likely be a semi-fragged shim somewhere still attached to something.</font>

13. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah there is defintly metal that looks like a shim or 2. There is a couple different thicknesses so it seems to be more then 1. But after tearing it apart I see absolutely nothing wrong. I just dont get it. I think I am just going to put it all back together, and run it. I am going to 4.88's and an ARB in 3 months so I doesn't have to last to long. I am also welding the spiders up. Thanks for all your help. I would still like for someone to describe what goes on the pinion and in what order, so I can see if I am missing something. Thanks again.
    -fLeXy K20

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> What goes on the pinion is exactly what you took off of it, in the reverse order. Pictures of the metal parts would make things much easier. </font>

15. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Would the chuncks be the thrust washers from behind the spiders and side gears in the differential?