Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

metal in stepside bed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

who here, that has a stepside pu, has replaced the rotten wood in there stepside bed with diamond plate? I have got the wood out and all but the two strips on the side cut out. It seems that all but the back of the bed uses the wood to hold the cross pieces to the bottom of the bed sides. I have not got to the point yet of taking these pieces loose but not sure how they are attached. They must be spot welded. But just looking for a few thoughts if anyone has tried to do a nice job of this on there truck. It looks to me that the only nice way is alot of :weld: welding which will make the taking off of the bed a very hard job if it ever has to be done. :hack: :grind: The reason i mention if the bed has to come off is that when i find the metal to do a cage or roll bar i'm not quite sure how i want it or what metal that i will find to be in the budget.

Any ideas? :dunno:

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

My cousin put diamond plate in his bed years ago. I highly doubt he has any pics, but I'll ask him tomorrow.
    I don't remember exactly how he did it, but I do remember helping put the bed back on the truck and bolting it down, so it wasn't welded to the frame.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have it in my stepside. It's a real pain in the butt when trying to haul something heavy and it needs to scoot. I plan on putting wood back in it as soon as I get the time and money.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I just cut out a piece of 3/16 aluminum and threw it on top. No bolts, no welds, no complications. Doesn't bother me a bit either. Every now and then another piece of wood will fall out the bottom too. :D

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I used expanded metal when I first built my bed.You could look back and see what you were backing over.That was kinda cool :D

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My grandad did this with his F-1 in about 1960. He used 3/16" diamond plate. Sand and pea gravel were a biotch to sweep out of it.

Don't think I'd go there, but I can't offer an easier solution either.