Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 16, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey,
    I am confused on what kind of metals there is... well not kind.. but shape/size/ and whatnot. I only thought square tube would go up to sizes around 4 inches... but then found the specs on the 4x4iron rear bumpers and they are made out of 8"x3". And other stuff like 5" x 3" and so on and so forth. So here I am thinking that I am going to buy a bunch of 3/16" metal to make my bumpers... then I find out I can just buy tube to save the extra welding. So I have a few questions... approx. how much does square tube cost that is 5 x 5 x 3/16"? And also, for building metal boxes that have to hold a fair amount of weight, what is the maximum size I can get that is 3/16 thick? I was thinking maybe 4' x 8' sheets like 20gu metal, but maybe that is really heavy? So if anyone can answer these questions it would be great. I also have to say I am thinking out loud so it may confuse some people /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

no-one eh? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can tell you that a 4'x8' sheet of 20 ga. weighs 48 lbs.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, i'm really tired right now, but I'll try to give ya a few tips.

First off, in sheet metal, the larger the gauge, the thinner the metal. 20 gauge is similar to what you might have for body panels. 3/16 is friggin heavy and THICK for toolboxes...at our shop, we make some nice HD underbody toolboxes out of 12 gauge and sometimes 10 gauge. As for prices, call up your local steel supply yard, get directions, and go in to look and ask questions. You'd be surprised what you can come up with. Oh, and on a side note, steel prices are through the roof right now. Don't be surprised when things soud astronomically high. It's the same everywhere in the good ol' US of A right now.

Bryan

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I might hold off on buying steel for now. I realized after I posted this that a sheet of 3/16" would be REAAALLY heavy. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

4x8 sheet of 3/16" weighs in at 245 lbs.
    4x8 sheet of 1/4" weighs in at roughly 327 lbs.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Anyone else know the approx. price for square tubing around 5" x 5" ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i bought some 10' 3x3 11 guage (1/8") for like $35

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Stopped by my local steel supply house (it's a small shop) this weekend to pick up some random pieces. The guy said that steel has gone up an average of 80% since December, and that most tubing has doubled.

For pricing, a buddy just priced out some 2x2 3/16" wall stuff that was almost $3/foot.......that was the cheapest of three places he called....so don't expect the big stuff to be cheap!

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I guess I will wait on the front bumper till later... maybe winter project unless I get the winch sooner. I have 4" C-channel under the shed so I will use that for the rear. Use up some scraps /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif