Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal saws dry cut vs abrasive, etc...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

What do you guys like to use? dry cut? abrasive? what brand?

I have been looking at milwaukee, dewalt and hitachi dry cut saws that run about 450...

From what I've heard so far is the blades dont last like they should...
    but they cut clean and fast, blades are like $100

Abrasive saws don't cut as clean, require slight offset to cut the desired length, create a lot of mess, etc blades are cheaper

I dont have personal experience with either type...

Would be cutting up to 2" HREW tubing mostly, some square tubing, etc, not running a shop or anything, this is personal use for myself and if I start building stuff for friends, etc...

Any recomendations would be great, expecially if you like a certain brand or whatever.

here's what I've been looking at:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/102-3464172-8432121?node=1026922

Thanks

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I use a Craftsman LaserGuide 10" chop saw. Just use regular metal cutting blades. Also a 5" grinder I sometimes throw a cut-off wheel on, a Dewalt 24 volt recipricating saw, and an air powered 3-4" cut-off wheel. If those dont work, I'll use a torch. My cousin n I are starting to play with forges and metal is alot easier to cut when hot!!

3. hero

hero Registered Member

I've been using for quite a long time a cheap ($30) circular saw and a 7 or 8 inch abrasive blade for metal. It works great. I've cut a lot of stuff with this setup, including 3/8 plate. It's pretty cheap and the saws seem to last quite awhile. I wouldn't use a good/expensive saw for this because it's kind of hard on it, but when you can cut for a few years on a $30 saw I don't have a problem throwing it away and buying another one.

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, It seems like just a regular abrasive saw would be fine, i dont think I'll be cutting that much.

If anyone else has any experience please share.

thanks

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the dewalt 14" reg chop saw--everytime i use it it seems like its gonna give up the ghost. friend has the milwaukee (its real old so i dont know if they make them like that any more) but it is WAAAY quieter and seems cleaner sor some reason.

the dry saws are AWESOME but pricey---if i were youi id get a regular abrasive chop saw and invest in a couple other tools you might need.

6. gauder

gauder Banned

Regular chop saw or cold saw. Not a fan of anything in between (dry saws).

7. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

I used the Mil 6370-20 to cut my new floor out. 1/4 plate steel, I had to cut two sides (front and side of entire plate), the wheelwhels, the tailgate post notches, the filler neck cut out, and take an additional 3 inches in front of the wheelwells off of the sides. Took me a total of about 1.5 hours including delineating all of my cuts. It was fast, clean, and easy to use. I'd recommend one, but if you're not going to be using it repeatedly, I'd go with an abrasive blade on a reg circ saw or an angle grinder.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I use a horizontal band saw. Clean, reasonably quiet, blades aren't to spendy, and NO abrasive dust spread from here to next week.