Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal Shaving's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_beer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Metal Shaving\'s?

I have a sm 465 transmission I'm going to put in my truck soon to replace the slip-o-matic. My question is how much metal shavings are to much, before it needs a rebuild? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Re: Metal Shaving\'s?

Hello anyone here? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

handful /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Some is normal, the question is , how much is in there??

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons in it

6. BSav

BSav Registered Member

Hi just got my 700 R4 rebult this past week. I was talking to the tranny guy and he said that the gears wears over time and they round certan parts out, due to loose gooseyness in the gears it cause exesive ware. I replaced my tranny fluid 3 weeks before it blew it was nice and pink for about two days, then it turned brown. The reason It turned brown was because their was so much metal shavings mixing with the oil. You should be able to go about 50,000 mi before changing the oil I think. I guess I am saying change your oil and see how long it stays pink. The oil may be a way to check for excessive wear. Also my tranny did not have crapy shifting before it went. It went right after I took off fron a stop light, it happned very quickley and I just did noi loose one or two gears they were all gone.
    Hope this helps
    Brian Sav

pretty stock 88 Gmc Jimmy 350 and rusty chrome wheels /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Thats true but this is a manual trans, a whole different ball game

8. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Anybody else have any ideal??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i think 3 or 4 spoons full are ok if thats all here is gears will wear over time, if you clean and empty the trans, ans you get more i wouls think that is bad.

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Flush it out with brake clean and fill it wiyh freh oil and it will be fine.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All manual tranny's will have a small amount of metal in the tranny after many thousands of miles--every time you grind a gear,like when you shift into granny low or reverse,a little bit of the gear teeth chip off,and they have to go somewhere--hopefully to the bottom of the case,and some tranny's have magnetic drain plugs(or you can buy one aftermarket)to hold any steel particles out of the bearings and gears. What kind of metal did it look like??--Silver flakes are from steel,brass or copper colered ones come from the synchro's and bushings--steel is much more harmful than the brass--it will grind up the bearings in short order if you leave that "grinding compound"in it for long--I'd drain the gear oil out and fill it with diesel fuel and run it at idle in neutral for a few minites and drain it again,then re-fill it with fresh gear oil--and maybe get a magnetic drain plug for it.You'll know if its too late if you hear bearings getting noisy in neutral with the clutch engaged,or the tranny shifts hard or grinds when shifting(syncro's are worn).I've used STP gear oil treatment or Motor Medic in noisy tranny's in big trucks like C-60's,it seems to work very good--also that Lucas treatment is good stuff too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I looks like its all steel shavings. I just didn't want to put it and the t-case in and have problems with it. I don't want it poping a out of gear or grinding right off the bat.