Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal Suppliers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, May 6, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I am going to be starting a project this summer and will need a good deal of tubing and plate and sheet steel, possibly I-beams, where do ya'll get ya'll's metal? I don't know where to look, I always use my friend's stuff, or stuff laying around, or stuff i find at junkyards, but i want the good stuff this time, where should I look?
    Thanks
    red

2. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Look in yellow pages. If yuo buy from very far away, the freight will more than eat up any savings that you may realize.

Check under the heading "steel".

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

thanks, if it's within 100 mile i'll go get the shint myself!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure to call a few places, I've seen 50% differences in cost based on the companies location. (large metro area vs. small metro area) But that was still within 50 miles of each other.

Another thing to check is if they will do some cutting for you (for free or cost per cut), if you are going to need it. They can cut through bigger steel and what not a lot faster than you'll be able to, and you won't end up going through a lot of cutting supplies. If you get some basic lengths that are the same, they can do multiple cuts at one time.