Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

METAL TECH???? Tubing bender

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 23, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Has anyone heared of METAL TECH? I found an ad for a metal tech tubing bender for $125 (USED) and a Dialarc 250 tig welder for $750 (used). Any openions on the bender?.....

:confused: :D

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

might try pirate... lot more people own benders over there. I have a protools... and haven't heard of the one you're talkin about. sorry!

j

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

ok, I called the guy. This is the one he has.

Bends 1/2" to 2" Outside diameter Round Tubing
    Bends 1/2" to 1-1/2" Schedule 40 Pipe.
    Bend to 1/2" to 1-1/2" Square Tubing.
    Accurate Bends from 0° to 180°.
    Mechanical
    Easy Operation.
    Affordable

He has a 1" dye. Is 2" big enough for bumpers and roll cage? What is the normal radius of a roll cage?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most bends in a roll cage are 90* or less. If this is a true tubing bender then $125 is a good deal if it is in good shape. Be aware though that most bender dies cost $250 I believe. So to get a 2" die you are going to have to pay another $250.

There is a cheap "bender" out there that some people have tried to use for cages that can be had from Harbor Freight or the like that is $100 or so but is JUNK for cages. It will not bend tube, it will kink tube. Kinked bends are not strong bends.

Also do you know how to Tig weld? Tig welding is something that you have to learn to do and is not "easy" to do like Mig welding. A tig welded cage is probably a little stronger (assuming you know how to Tig weld) but a Mig welded cage is what most everyone uses. Tig welded cages are usually made from more exotic metals like Chromoly and are for competition use.

A good Mig welder will suit the needs of most weekend four wheelers alot better then a Tig welder will.

Harley

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The actual process of TIG welding is very similar to Gas welding, and just as slow. If you are a good gas welder making the switch shouldn't be too hard.

8. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Get some pics of the bender if you can. If it looks anything like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35336 then don't get it. That's the cheapo harbor freight "bender" that Hossbaby mentioned. Pipe and tube are 2 different things. It might work but personally I would never go cheap on something that is supposed to protect me.

The one you want for bending tube looks similar to this http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm which is a true tubing bender. Dies are not cheap though.

1 3/4" to 2" is what most cages are made from if I remember correctly.