Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metal windage sheild rivited on bottom of 350 factory aluminum manifold

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lukebaby1, Jan 10, 2004.

1. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Is this sheild important? What function or advantange does it provide if any? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it helps to warm up center of intake to make cold starts easier and to help prevent icing, most of the time they are full of burnt oil, carbon

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so can it be taken off and left off or not??

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's done to keep oil off the bottom of the intake. The exhaust crossover is really good at cooking oil.

Intakes without the exhaust crossover often have a really big one and that's done to keep hot oil off the intake and keep the water that passes through the intake from heating the oil.

Some <crazy> people take these off and put magnets behind them to keep grenaded valvetrain from ending up in the crank. I think putting screens in the valley is good enough.

5. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

OK, so what are the problems I will have if I leave it off? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm not certain about if they're available for Chevy, but i used to run aftermarket upper windage trays on my s.b mopars. that would take care of those issues probably. they didn't attach to the intake at all. layed in the valley with 2 bars that hooked under the edge of the heads.

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

They have those available for SB and BB Chevy's as well. Have one on my 468. The factory pan helps prevent the oil from splashing on the crossover, although it doesn't stop all of it. Wish I had a dollar for every one that I have chisseled the carbon from there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif