Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metallica anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by santana, Nov 8, 2005.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

young Lars

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Funny. :haha:

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Hehe, that kid probably plays better than Lars does now.... :D

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Agree. Recognized the song as being 'Sad But True'. Wonder if he can play in sync with the beginning of 'Harvester of Sorrow'? Lars' licks at the beginning of that song are the hardest sounding drum licks I've ever heard. Yes, even more difficult sounding than some of the stuff John Bonham did.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

:confused: Other than the odd little double kick roll thrown in, Lars is basically just pounding out pretty basic time throughout that entire song.

I suggest you download some Rush and listen to Neil Peart, brother........ You want EXTREME technique? Download "Tom Sawyer" - check out the funky **** he lays down in the guitar solo and the bridge that follows it. You might also want to listen to a little song by the name of "Spirit of the Radio". While you're at, try out "Limelight" for size.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i've often heard how lacking Lars was in his early years...

Neil has definitely played some of the most amazing drum parts i've ever heard for sure...

Can Can, have you ever listened to Kings X?

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I like Rush a lot.

To me, the best " rock " drummers have a heavy jazz influence.. I also like Matt Abts, who drums with Gov't Mule, and has worked with the allmans, dickey betts, and some other jam bands. Fates Warning has a lot of complicated drumming too.

As for other drummers, my opinions of them are based on if I like their band, or style of music they play. I really don't know enough to say whether or not Ulrich is better than Bonham technically.. Robert Plant annoys the crap out of me, so I don't listen to zep at all. Metallica, however, is a favorite, but I still like sabbath and deep purple better than either of them. To me, though, the drumming is indistinct from so many other bands out there.

There's an old joke.. what do you call someone who hangs out with a bunch of musicians? ....

..a drummer !

Tom

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

For some reason it rings a bell. Not sure why......... Can you recommend a song or two?

4by4- Your joke is actually funny, because that pretty much sums up my band. I'm by far the biggest hack in the room.:haha:

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mid 80's till present.. 3 piece.. each guy is exceptionally talented.. they all sing too.. i describe them as Sabbath meets the Beatles or Rush meets Metallica.... the bass player is this black guy from texas, Doug Pinnack.. incredible stuff..

they've been deemed christian by many.. but whatever, incredible musicians and tunes.. earlier stuff is best.. some of the few songs that got airplay where Dogman, Summerland, Shot of Love, Over my Head.. i could list about 30 awesome tunes.. We are finding who we are, Mission and Visions are 3 that come to mind.. oh, and being your a Hendrix fan, they do an incredible cover of manic depression on their fifth album Dogman.. Jimi would be proud.

the second album Gretchen goes to Nebraska is one of the most phenominal records i've ever heard... the first 3 are epic tho..

these guys play everything. ranging from stuff sounding like Sex Pistols or Anthrax to incredibly soulful, slow blues, ballady type stuff... from crunchy to dainty.. beyond great live too.. obviously, i highly recommend them.. ;)

http://kxcd.net/oldsite/kxindex.htm

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Download these songs........

Arch Enemy "Machtkampf" for a great drum intro
    Chimaira "Stigmurder" for just awesome drumming in general
    Tool "Aenima" for some of the most technical drumming I've heard

11. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kids stuff. Listen to Danny Carry from tool, Carter Beuford from DMB, Mike Portney from dream theatre.... now that's some drumming. I still think Carry takes the cake- talk about precision. How many different times can one guy play at once?!