Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mETALLICA COMEBACK

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by potato76, Jun 5, 2002.

1. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

FOUND THIS ON THE METALLICA SITE!

SPUN - LIVE AT KIMO'S

-"Damn, I have not seen that much gear being loaded in to this place before" was the first thing the bartender of Club Kimo's in San Francisco said while one of the opening acts were loading in their gear. The band with all the extra accessories was called SPUN and no one really seemed to have any information about them. Around 11pm SPUN hit the stage and introduced themselves as "Hi, we are Bob's band". Now the cat was definitely out of the bag as the surprised crowd recognize their hometown boys.

Bob's Band?

SPUN consisted of Bob Rock (on bass), James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett. The band started by bursting out four Ramones songs:
    Commando, Today Your Love Tomorrow The World, 53rd and 3rd, Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
    - "That was our little tribute to the Ramones" said James with a grin. "Hey close your eyes, we've got a surprise" he continued, and looked back at Lars. "1981?, 1983?" Lars smiled and said "OK, check this out" and then he pounded his way into Hit the lights. After this it was more old school tunes, Leaper Messiah, No Remorse and For Whom The Bell Tolls. It was now time to fastforward to 2002 and a NEW SONG. The crowd could not sing-a-long, but they sure did bang-a-long. So how do you describe this new song? HEAVY, with a nice Metallica CRUNCH to it! After this nice surprise the band played I Disappear and the night ended with Die, Die My Darling. "Thank you friends, we had fun. See you soon" said James.

A NEW song!

When everyone was walking out the door, I looked over at the bartender and he seemed to be as clueless as he was when we arrived. He was just happy to get rid of those guys with all that gear...

Story & Pictures by Niclas S

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sell outs, Sell outs, Sell outs, Sell outs !!!!!!!!!!!!! Metallica sold out !!!!!!!!!! The Black album was the begining of the sell out. I liked everything prior to the black album.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Metallica is crap. They need to just hang it up. Just like KoRn! It's all crap!

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i agree that the early metallica was way better than the new stuff, and the same with korn, but i still like listening to both,

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can one of you gun toting american lunatics please shoot Bob Rock to death.
    what an embarassment. I have the video of the making of the Bob Rock album, the death toll of Metallica.

6. Buttrash

Buttrash Registered Member

Hey now.
    I'd go check out "SPUN" just to see what they're all about. They'd either put on a good show like the metallica i remember or they'd give me a good laugh.
    Now that Jason left the band, they can go back to the hard music? I don't get it. I still dig 95% of Metallicas music. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The reason Jason left the band is because he wanted to play harder stuff, and the rest of the band(or Lars at least) was happy just pumping out radio-friendly music. Runmor has it that Lars can't keep up the pace he used to and that's the reason the music has slowed down so much. In fact, watch how wiped out he is after playing "One" on the S&M video...../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Check out Sepultura's latest(I think) album where Jason plays on a couple of songs.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> You're exactly right, Paul ! Lars can't keep up anymore so they have softened ! I also find it funny that Lars stated in Modern Drummer magazine that the double kick bass drum went out in the 80's !!! To hell it did ! Tell that to Vinnie Paul from Pantera and others ! He just couldn't do it any longer so he decided to act the big drum guru and make an assinine statement like that ! He is such a big pussy !

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Don't get me started about Lars. Whinny little bitchboy. He can't beat a drum anymore, and cried about Napster. I'm telling ya, Lars has [censored] up alot of wet dreams !!!!!!! I think I heard somewhere that Lars might be gay also.

10. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

GEEZ give these guys a break they are all gunna be using deprends pretty soon.I think metallica should put out this next album and just kick ass.Makes me happy to see that their new album is gunna have some ramones tribute on it.That shows they wanna kick a little ass.I dont know about the whole s&amp;m video cuz if ive seen it wasnt it live?I mean id be pretty tired too if i have played for the last hour and im almost 40.I would never play the drums because thats gotta be the hardest job in the biz.But even if they dont have a kick ass album then i can at least remember the good songs from way back when.

11. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I dont like metallica anymore eather. The old stuff was the best and even better when Dave Mustiane was in it.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For me, I liked Master of Puppets, and Injustace for All.

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue>METALLICA SUCKS ! I HATE LARS !! Sorry ..... but these guys piss me off ..... I've met them on 3 different occasions in there hay day and Lars was a prick then ! He's just gotten way worse over the years ! What a punk !! I'd whip his ass in celebrity boxing !

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree, I've met them also, James was cool, but Lars was a stuck up prick.

15. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

whateve metallica is doing what they want. as a musicain there is not such thing as selling out, you simply grow. im glad they are not hanging on to the past or they would ended up another old hair band. They are way better musicains writing more sophisticated songs. the only thing they sell out is every stadium they play, enough said.

16. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ive only met them once in denver when the black album came out. they were all cool. if anything lars was the coolest starting the convo.

17. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna have to agree-the term 'sell out' gets used pretty loosely, and I don't think Metallica qualifies. They still play the same *type* of music, maybe just not the same song, over and over and over. Sell out examples would include-Vanilla Ice (rap when it was popular-put out the SAME SONG in Korn-style format when it was popular), MC Hammer, Hammer, whatever (went from feel-good hip hop during its heyday to gangsta rap as it became the rage). Metallica follows no trend, they just change as they see fit. I would be willing to bet they can stil roll into an arena, club, whatever, throw down stuff off Puppets, Lightning, Kill em All, and kick all our a$$es any day of the week.

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Lars can't keep up anymore so they have softened ! I also find it funny that Lars stated in Modern Drummer magazine that the double kick bass drum went out in the 80's !!! To hell it did ! Tell that to Vinnie Paul from Pantera and others ! He just couldn't do it any longer so he decided to act the big drum guru and make an assinine statement like that ! He is such a big pussy !

<hr></blockquote>

NUFF SAID ! Any softer and they's have to change their name to Charmin !

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I remember a Metallica that was more concerned with makeing music and a statement then record sales !!!! That's why I say they sold out !!!!! The Black album was the start of the sell out. Megadeth grew up, but didn't sell out. Suicidal Tendencies grew up with out selling out,...ect.

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And what about bands like Pantera and Sepultura??? They stayed true to their styles and are still extremely succesful, with lots of loyal fans........

You don't see those guys looking tired after playing a fast song. Damn, guys, that's their job!!!! If Lars can't play a couple old songs without getting tired, he should quit the biz. If any of us got too tired to peform our work correctly we would most definitely be fired.