Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metallica has awesome instrumentals

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 2, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't know anything after the black album except "ain't my bitch" and "2x4", which were kind of average, not really standing out (to me at least).

But I've been listening to Orion and Call of Ktulu over and over again since I became able to play MP3's on the car cd player... I loved those when I was a teenager (and more metallica songs then), and it's funny to be sort of getting back into them.

I think the Black album was a maturing point for them. I started laughing when I came out of "Wherever I May Roam" into "Seek and Destroy". The differences are kinda funny.
    The audio quality seems distinctly better, not that it was bad before, and it seems like they're using better equipment and production there. The pre-black stuff has a lot of oomph and high quality, and you know they're not using low quality equipment, but there's something more honed about the black album. Maybe it's the writing coming across as production, but I think there are a few duds on the Black album, too.

I'm not a Metallica fan anymore at all, and I really don't like the hawkish attitude they have, but the instrumentals are killer.

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Yes, the newer albumns have a distinctly better quality to them. Becoming one of the world's largest recording bands that came from living together in an abandoned building will do that. ;) But imo the newer stuff is almost too smooth, too refined. I liek the edge of their old music, the new stuff is just fluff. Call of Ktulu, Am I evil, Fade to Black, Blitzkreig, etc etc.... their new stuff just can't compare. I listen to the old stuff, it has so much energy, so much soul. Thenew stuff is just for appealing to the masses and making them $.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I agree lets not forget pulling teeth...;)

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Amen.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Justice was the last album I bought. After Cliff, the sound just wasn't the same. Orion....... It doesn't get much better.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tho the Black Album is a masterpiece with good songs and excellent production, it was the last I enjoyed from them.. Kinda how Aerosmith got "over-produced" after Permenent Vacation..

None will compare to Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning.. Kill Em All being my fave without a doubt.. The whole album is killer, but The Four Horsemen rules imo.. Killer tunes to skate to....

That simplistic rawness of initial albums is hard to beat for many bands... I actually have up to the Black album on vinyl... :saweet:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Ratch, you might wanna check out S&M. if you like the instrumental aspects of the music, you'll surely appreciate S&M. my parents hate Metallica, i cranked up the S&M one day, and they actually liked it.