Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metallurgy Question - I went to pick up some steel and was asked

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Oct 10, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

do I want hot rolled or cold rolled steel. Um.....duno! What's the difference, when would you use one instead of the other? What is the difference in price? Are there different welding techniques for each? I'm new at fabrication, I have had a welder for only a couple of months now, and need to learn the lingo. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks
    Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well both are still mild steel so there is no difference in how they are welded.

The hot rolled is obviously drawn hot and then quenched, easy to spot because the true dimensions are never dead accurate. A 3" wide flat bar is usually 2 15/16" or even less. It would also have 'mill scale'.

Cold rolled or cold drawn steel is obviously done cold. No mill scale and it is very true dimensionally. Edges are sharp too not rounded off like the hot rolled stuff.

Unless you need the material to be dimensionally perfect hot rolled is a better value. Most cold rolled materials I've used have been solid round stock or flat bar. I've seen and used cold drawn tubing but it's pretty spendy.

Rene