Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metalwork ruining my eyeglasses?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mastiff, May 8, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I recently got a MIG welder and I've been doing some body work on my pickup. Since my welding still stinks, much grinding is involved. ;) I always wear those high school chemistry looking goggles when grinding, and a full face welding mask when welding, but every day I seem to have more pits and burned spots on my eyeglasses. Last night I got a pretty huge burned spot.

So... is this normal or something? Glasses are kind of expensive. I'm not too stressed right now since I need to replace these anyway, but I don't want this to continue. I'm not sure if grinding bits are getting around the goggles, or if it's mostly sparks from welding coming in from behind when I'm looking down welding. If it's the first thing, maybe I need better goggles or something? I'm not sure what to do about the second option... maybe glass lenses instead of plastic?

Thoughts?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Glass lenses are better at resisting pits & what-not from grinding and welding, but they will still get them.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I wear contacts when welding and grinding have not hurt them yet. :D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My glasses last about 2 years before I need new lenses from too many pits and stuff.

I wear them every day at work, but try and use the full face sheild when grinding. Fortunately my wife is an optical lab tech, so when I do need new glasses she'll either get me new lenses (of my choice) for nothing...or new frame and leses for cost. The most I've paid for new glasses was $65, and those frames retailed at $400.

Rene

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I trashed mine too...

I trashed several pairs of glasses too,the oxyacetalyne torch is the worst offender,I often use mine to braze metal patches on rotted areas and every time it spatters or pops when rust gets heated up, the tiny balls of metal get imbedded in the glass or plastic lenses--I'm wearing glass ones right now that look like a rock pucked windshield on an old car!--the plastic lenses really suck,they get damaged much easier than glass,but the glass ones aren't that much better either.

..I hate wearing glasses,especially now that my eyes are getting older,and I have to take them off every 2 seconds to read or look at things close up(I'm ready for Bi-focals I guess :mad: )--my eyesight is going downhill fast lately--I'm having a hard time seeing small things like the linkages on my lawnmower carbs and stuff--and I've resorted to using a magnifying glass to read code numbers--so I guess I have oficially become my father!....I try to remember to use a sheild or goggles,but usually dont until I get another chip in a lens,or worse,a peice of metal in my eye.. :blush: :(

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that's lucky!

I wear both glasses and contacts when welding/grinding. Depends what I have on before I come outside. Usually if I am grinding I wear a face sheild with glasses, so I don't have any pits in my glasses...then with contacts I use saftey glasses...
    Maybe I am just lucky, or don't weld/grind as often...but my lenses are clear as glass.

7. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hmm. Something must just be weird with me. I always wear goggles or a welding mask. All I can figure is that when I'm looking down on the work, sometimes sparks fly up and fall back in from behind. The burned spots are on the inside of the lenses, so it's not like I'm getting a direct hit from the front.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[HiJack]

If cost is $65, and retail is $400 for frames, then that means the optical store really rapes the consumer. Thanks makes me feel better about dealing with them. I wear contacts, but I'm sure they're raping me too.

[/HiJack]

:xmas: