Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

metalworking experts; reworking fender edge trim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Apr 2, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Thinking of trying to bend the factory fender lip trim to fit the hacked fender openning. Basically straightening out the curve at the rear of the openning. I think the trim is aluminum. Should I heat it with a propane torch or borrow the oxy acet rig from work? I'll only get one shot at this so its got to be right the first time. Don't want it to buckle or kink. Anybody do this? Any ideas?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Just about any heat you put on it will turn it into ash and slag - basically you'll just need to work it realy slowly.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If your talking about trying to bend the actual trim to fit....The Puglsley is correct..You could try some of the specialized body working hammers and stuff. Try to "hammer" it into shape....Or just run some kinda flare.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Since you would have to bend it out it will buckle where the bend is. You might be able to notch it but you will see it.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Use the oxy/act. combo torch and heat up a 1/16" piece of steel. (sells @ home depot) use a body hammer to form it (while glowing red hot) to the wheel well and tack weld it there. finish the stich welds and use a very lite coat of bondo to make it look factor.

Pics are in the link below

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks Zakk, I liked the lip on your fender so I made my own. I'll try to post some pictures. I'm bolting the inner fender to the new lip using button head allen screws. What I'm thinking of doing now is putting the stock trim piece back on. It seems pretty rigid and might kink when I try to bend it straight. I saw a show about Jesse James the bike builder and he used a sooty flame to soften some aluminum before shaping it into a gas tank. Normally I practice with some scrap first but don't have any extra trim pieces. Just wondering if anyone has bent the trim sucessfully before. If it works I'll post the some picts.