Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

metalworking powertools

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MikeS, Apr 18, 2001.

1. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

Now that my welding skills are coming along, I decided that it's time to actually make something. I need to get a power saw to make clean, mitered cuts in some of the steel stock. I'm debating between an abrasive cut off saw or a vertical/horizontal band saw. Anybody have any opinions?

BTW, I'm going to try to fab up some rocksliders for my '72. I'm going to pattern them after the ones SEC makes for 2nd gen Blazers. Probably out of 3X3 box. I'll let you all know how they turn out.

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

My bet would be the cut off saw. i would think the band saw would break easily.

3. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Mike,

In reference to your question, I've had the opportunity to use both, and I've had success with both. However, were I to do it all over again, I would buy the metal band saw, specifically the little near portable one you can buy at harbor freight et al for right around $179.00 I've fabricated a few roll cages in my time, some 1" square stock racks, pushbumpers and rock sliders. That little band saw I had would cut and cut and cut all day long. Be it 3" cold rolled steel tube, 6" channel or 1" square stock, never had any problem. I used a lot of oil to cool the blade, but when they only cost $5.75 a blade (1994 prices), I couldn't go wrong. I've also used a chopsaw with a cutting blade. I've cut everything from exhaust pipe to cage tubing with it. My only dislikes are fast blade wear, lots of sparks, and tremendous noise. Also, when you push it, it leaves burn marks on the steel. Just a peeve of mine.

Hope this helps.

Harry

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Damn only if we were neighbors!! I too want my own little metal shop!
    I cannot answer your question but I am VERY interested in how your slider turn out!!! I too am going with 3x3 square to replace my rusted rockers.
    [​IMG]
    I have already cut the outer part of the rocker off. It was full of cancer holes so off it came one day afer oh 10 beers or so[​IMG]
    Pls keep me posted on the progress or plans you have.
    Thanks

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

I think I'm going to go with the bandsaw. Harborfreight has one for $199 that should be OK for my occassional use. I'll let you all know if it's anygood.

Burt4X4, you seem to be doing some pretty good metal work yourself. I was sort of inspired by seeing the winch mount you put together. I'll let you know what I come up with for the sliders. Don't hold your breath waiting though, with the length of time it takes for me to get anything done, it could be a while.

Right now the plans are for 3X3 square that will be connected to the frame with either 2X2 square or maybe 1" round. One annoying little thing that I've seen so far is that the panel behind the door sort of angles up a little towards the rear. So, to make the slider look right I may need to put a slight kink in it to contour it with the body. Lots of plans, now I just need to find the time!

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HahaLOL ya I hear ya! I too have to find/make time to do anything to my rig nowa days[​IMG].
    For my idea on replacing the rockers with steel squarestock I plan on welding to the bottom of the body. Like what DepDog did, similar anyway.....
    I am interested in hearing about the bandsaw too! I like allot of HarborF. stuff but some of it is perrty cheap.
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

7. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Burt, Mike,

I've got to replace the rockers on my wifes' blazer before I get it painted (next 2 weeks). I've built rock sliders for my jeeps, but I used channel to fit below the super trapp mufflers I had on it. Please explain you ideas about making rock sliders which will replace the rocker panels on the blazer.

I might just get around doing this before either of you.

Harry

8. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

Harry,

I'm not going to make sliders to replace the rockers. I've got two very nice, rust-free rockers that I spent a lot of money to get replaced so my sliders are going to be to protect them. Basically I'm going to try to make up something similar to the ones made by S.E.C. They'll fit under the rockers with about a 1/2 inch or so gap to allow for some movement. They'll be attached at two points to the frame and probably 2 points to the body. The frame mounts will have a hard rubber cushion to avoid some of the road noise and allow for a little flex.

I don't know, I'm making this up as I go along. When and if I get around to it, I'll take some pictures.

Mike

9. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Mike,

IIUC, you are going to replace your rockers with new ones, and thencreate sliders to go under your rockers. OK. Do you still have rocker boxes on your rig? Are the sliders going to extend around both ends of the boxes? I can imagine that.

If you have any ideas you'd care to share, I'd appreciate it.

Harry

10. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Burt,

From the looks of your picture you posted, it looks like you cut off the outside of the rusted rocker, but left the inner panel, correct? My rockers are all rotted to hell and I'm trying to get an idea of what they lok like. How far up the inside of the door did you cut them off? What did you use to do the cutting? Dremel tool? Torch?

I've got to do my wifes' blazer soon.

Any help and or pictures is appreciated. I'll send you pics of my rot if you'd care to diagnose.

Thanks

Harry

11. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I have the 14" Dewalt chop saw and i love it, it is loud and does shoot the sparks but thats all apart of working with steel.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Harry, I will get better pics for you by Monday.
    the pic above you can just bearly see the top of the rocker I left there. Look at the front bottom of the door you can bairly see the lip there. When the door closes it goes over the top of the rocker I left that part there. Also that inside back plate is the wall of the rocker box, full of cancer too so I will be cutting that off too. This will expose the inside floor of the rocker box wich I plan on cleaning and coating with something like Por15, to help make the box last as long as possiable. Then look on the Front fender you can see a smal black line tward the front I am gonna cut that aount off the front and rear fenders then extend the squarestock 3x3 to fender well to well. The ends of the 3x3 will be angled ' / ' and capped.
    Hope all this makes sence, it is all theroy in my head right now.
    here is what I am kinda doing....
    [​IMG]
    This is DepDogs rig at http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

13. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Burt,

I'm starting to get a better idea. It looks like it will take a little modification on depdogs idea, but the basic ides is sound. Looks like we'll have enough room around the rockers also. I was in my rockers the other day. It appears a squirrel made a nest in there!

Gotta go. It's saturday. Kids soccer day. 9 little field Monos falling in the mud. It's definately going to be a tide day.

Send Pics of your progress. I'll email you some rot photos of mine.

Harry
    a