Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

metric bolts cheap?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Jan 24, 2006.

?

Do you think metric bolts are cheap?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. I'm nekkid and this is too much like tech. wheres the thongs?

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

do you consider metric bolts cheap?

just wondering, because ive heard guys say that a manufacturer "cheaped out" their brand by using metric bolts.

i dont see any difference, other than i have a hard time remembering what equals grade 8 or 5 or whatever.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

In my rather limited experience, metric bolts are more expensive... :dunno:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

10.9 is grade 8 metric. I don't see how in the heck they "cheaped out". The bolts are pretty much identical just different thread pitch and head size. Anyone who says that is likely a redneck who things anything "import" is evil. I wish we'd just switch to metric or stay with standard, mixing things up over the past 20 years pisses me off.

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Personally, when it comes to stuff like fasteners and equipment/machinery manufacturing, I'm for converting all the nuts, bolts and screws to metric just so you'd only need one set of tools, because one:

1) Too darn expensive to buy both a standard and metric set of tools.

2) The rest of the world is using metric fasteners and bolts, so we might as well go along with them because of the globalization environment.

Now for stuff like measurement of weight and volume of foods and height/distance measurements, that's where we need to keep the british system of miles, feet, gallons, quarts, etc.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I dont think metric stuff is more expensive, just more of a PITA to find.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dislike metric...

Call me a change hating redneck,but I hate metric anything!..I was one of the unfortunates that was in school during the "metric conversion" years..so they tried teaching us standard "inch" sizes the first 6 years..then suddenly it was "ok,enough about THAT,now lets learn METRIC!!..so many of us ended up knowing a little about both,but a lot of neither..all it did was confuse the S*** out of everyone...had to learn "conversion charts",etc..

I say we should have told the rest of the world to keep their metric crap over there in their countries!..all it did for us was frustrate the hell out of most of us here,and made us buy TWO SETS of tools for everything...they could at least make cars with ALL bolts one or the other,not a mixture of both on the same vehicle..thats plain retarted!.

And why so many different threads??..isn't FINE(or SAE) and COURSE(USS) simple enough...no,we need 1.00 "pitch",and 1.25,1.50,and 2.00..find THOSE on a sunday!!...GOOD LUCK!!..

As for wrenches,having 'even" sizes wasn't bad enough,like 10mm,13mm,no,they had to invent "half sizes" like 4.5 mm..just so you could strip the head off that hard to find and costly bolt!..:mad: ..or not buy one anywhere but Snap-on,etc..

Its just another bad idea that failed,and they don't want to admit it..the same folks must be the ones behind "torx" head screws,and all the other weird crap so you have to buy more new tools..that will be obsolete next year,when "tamper proof" torx screws come along!..

I had to buy a phillips screwdriver the other day ,because it had THREE points on the tip,NOT 4 like the ones I used for 45 years...:mad: ..what a raquet theese tool guys have going..:crazy: ..they change the screws and bolts every few years,just so more tools can be sold..and you can never have it on sunday when you need it most..:mad:

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When I started this position we had a mixture of SAE & Metric. I've been moving us towards all Metric fasteners for over a year. Our products are international in nature and nearly all of our higher-ups came from Europe or still live there.
    Unfortunately some of the parts we out-source are SAE, so I'll never get everything completely metric.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

From an engineering standpoint there is a need for ALL variety of fasteners, from metric to SAE, fine or course thread (And everything in between), different bolt heads, they all have their place. As much as I hate to say it, we (the US) should just make the switch to the metric system and be done with it. Thats mostly what they are teaching in my engineering classes anyway.

9. gauder

gauder Banned

What's that saying about embracing change or being left behind?

10. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

OK.

I'm a heavy duty mechanic. I live in Canada. I cannot do my job without a full set of both.

GET OVER IT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<:haha:

btw, 8.8 is aprox gr5, 10.9 is aprox gr8.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Well said. I got over it a long time ago while I was still a teen.