Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Metro DC/Northern Virginia?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluecollarjock, Nov 24, 2006.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    Just bought a K5 since my last one was towed as a public safety hazard 8 years ago...its an 86 with 8" lift, 36" fat Baja Claws, stock axles and gears, but mint body and newer crate 350 with custom interior and stereo. Im a poor cop with limited to no mechanical experience and looking for people to network with in my area. So far Ive met muddybuddy on here and looks like he is going to be able to help in guiding me getting this thing ready for the trail. It has an oil leak I need to get fixed, seller said its valve cover, and the stock gearing and axles need to go bad. I just do not want to end up starting projects I cant finish due to money or getting bent over by one of the local $$$$ shops, so any networking or assistance in what to do and where to get work done around here would help! Plus meeting some K5 lovers in the area would be nice! Since moving here, I do not have any wheeling or hunting buddies like I did growing up in Ohio and PA, just a city slicker now looking for some 4x4 outdoor connections!!

God Bless
    Matt

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Welcome! I don't have time to do any real wheeling but I love dinking with my trucks. If you have any questions or need help just e-mail.

BTW, what county are you working in or are you state? Just so I can whatch what I say around you:wink1: :wink1: :wink1: .

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

there a few others in md, but other than that they are far away:(

4. bluecollarjock

Hah...thanks...Im in Northern Virginia...dont worry about what you say around me, I also have been a college strength and conditioning coach (meaning weightroom, strength and speed training) for 7 years, so you can imagine what college football and weightroom coaches joke about cops! Heck, when I used to work out with the kids in the summers running with football and hockey, the players would be yelling "time to make the donuts" during the sprints! haha

Im local in NOVA, the biggest agency there. I work PT at the academy and SWAT. On light duty now from a lifting injury where Ive already had one major surgery and need another on my lower intestine...so its been a bad year...this K5 is my hobby until I can get back to working out and SWAT myself...been depressed, thought a jacked up 4x4 would help!

As for my problems, right now my engine is spitting oil all over the undercarriage, seller said its a valve cover. I need to get that thing changed and not sure who to get it with in Arlington where I live because Im sure they will charge an arm and a leg and find 100 other things wrong I cant afford to fix. Next is the gearing, I gotta either swap out the 3.08s for 4.56 in the stock axles, but all the good advice on here has been to swap in 3/4 axles which Im considering doing if I can find the help and the parts that I can afford. Only problem there is that this thing came with brand spanking new 36x15.50 Baja Claw radials on Mickey Thompson beadlocks which cost more than $2000...if I swap axles Ill have to deal with affording new tires and rims and trying to recoup some money for the sweet wheels on there now..plus my girlfriend agreed to let me get this K5, mostly because she loved the nice new paint job and fancy tires and rims compared to all the other beater jacked up 4x4s I was looking at! haha now she is like "what, you will have to get rid of the rims and tires, no no they are the best looking thing on that!" but she doesnt understand....I could deal with steelies and other big radials, just dont have the cash to buy them outright now that I drained my bank account on the truck itself!

5. bluecollarjock

Haha....why so few? There are thousands of Jeepers in DC/NOVA/MD!!!! Where are all the Chevy guys??!!!?!?! I had to go back to Ohio for a funeral of a childhood friend, and everyone was still driving full size solid axle Chevy, Ford, and Dodge..same with Western Pa where my parents live now and I went to high school...its all about full size American, here in DC its all about Jeeps!!!

6. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i live in richmond...but kinda tied up working on mine....mabye you we and mudbuddy will all get togher and hit the trails sometime after our rigs our done...and help you need just lemme know i have parts and know people with them...

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't want to seem rude, but you're asking a lot of the Brotherhood without actually joining us. Also, as a paying member you have access to the regional forums AND the search feature, which is worth 10x the price of a membership.

Anyhow, welcome to CK5. If you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask.:thumb:

8. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

marylandcreepers.com is where most of us locals hang. hit it up.

9. bluecollarjock

Im sorry! I hope I did not offend anyone by not following forum etiquette. Let me get to that, if I can afford it Ill join...sorry Ill read up on that now.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

its no biggy. its just $25 per year and you get access to everything. best $25 i ever spent. its saved me hundreds already

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

No offense taken, my friend. I just think you may get a little better feedback as a member, that's all. And like muddybuddy said above, you'll soon find that it's the best $2 a month you'll ever spend.

Besides, you sound like you could kick my ass in a heartbeat, even with your injury. I guess I should behave, eh? :rotfl:

12. bluecollarjock

10-4 Im on it tomorrow

13. bluecollarjock

haha....thanks I know it will be worth that cost! Thats one meal out in this area. If it helps me get on the road it will be worth it, waiting years to get another real 4x4, got it now its stuck in the driveway leaking oil and has wimpy axles with slug gears...

No ass kicking for me anymore haha...honestly Im a nice guy!

14. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

there was a guy in mass on here with some 3/4 ton axles if you have a membership now...

15. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

hey man good too see anther from teh MD area. im just north of baltimore. dont know how much help ill be able to be cuz im just a n00bie here too. but i can say that it was teh best 25 bucks ive ever spent.

16. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

Get a d60/14bolt with the lockers and 4:56s or 5:13's and call it a day :)

17. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Im here too. Im originally from Silver Spring, I just cant seem to get out of these mountains out here...

18. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

why would you want to leave, im trying to get out there myself, i hate being this close to bmore and dc. only if i could find a decent paying job out there i woulda been there by now.

19. bluecollarjock

"Get a d60/14bolt with the lockers and 4:56s or 5:13's and call it a day "

Only in my dreams...I spent the rest of my bank account just on the truck alone...even if I could afford a d60/14b, plus gears and lockers, I would not be able to come close to affording the labor!

20. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

its not so bad. Talk to highhonda on pirate and get a price, of not there try on creepers and talk to Partsbitch from condon's auto parts, i think he may have a set for like 1300.

as for labor, there really isnt much to the swap, just moving the rear spring perchs an inch out and i think the front is a bolt in from what i remember. when i put my front in though i did high steer so eh i dont remember how the steering woulda worked if i stayed stock.

or i know a place in beltville that has entire military k5 diesals you could rip the gear from under it for 900$ :)