Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mexico Threatens Suits Over Guard Patrols

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skigirl, May 16, 2006.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mexico Threatens Suits Over Guard Patrols

By MARINA MONTEMAYOR, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 20 minutes ago

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - Mexico said Tuesday that it would file lawsuits in U.S. courts if National Guard troops on the border become directly involved in detaining migrants.

Mexican border officials also said they worried that sending troops to heavily trafficked regions would push illegal migrants into more perilous areas of the U.S.-Mexican border to avoid detection.

President Bush announced Monday that he would send 6,000 National Guard troops to the 2,000-mile border, but they would provide intelligence and surveillance support to Border Patrol agents, not catch and detain illegal immigrants.

"If there is a real wave of rights abuses, if we see the National Guard starting to directly participate in detaining people ... we would immediately start filing lawsuits through our consulates," Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez told a Mexico City radio station. He did not offer further details.

Mexican officials worry the crackdown will lead to more deaths. Since Washington toughened security in Texas and California in 1994, migrants have flooded Arizona's hard-to-patrol desert and deaths have spiked. Migrant groups estimate 500 people died trying to cross the border in 2005.

The Border Patrol reported 473 deaths in the fiscal year ending Sept. 30.
    In Ciudad Juarez, Julieta Nunez Gonzalez, local representative of the Mexican government's National Immigration Institute, said Tuesday she will ask the government to send its migrant protection force, known as Grupo Beta, to more remote sections of the border.

Sending the National Guard "will not stop the flow of migrants, to the contrary, it will probably go up," as people try to get into the U.S. in the hope that they could benefit from a possible amnesty program, Nunez said.
    Juan Canche, 36, traveled more than 1,200 miles to the border from the southern town of Izamal and said nothing would stop him from trying to cross.

"Even with a lot of guards and soldiers in place, we have to jump that puddle," said Canche, referring to the drought-stricken Rio Grande dividing Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas. "My family is hungry and there is no work in my land. I have to risk it."

Some Mexican newspapers criticized President Vicente Fox for not taking a stronger stand against the measure, even though Fox called Bush to express his concerns.

A political cartoon in the Mexico City newspaper Reforma depicted Bush as a gorilla carrying a club with a flattened Fox stuck to it.

Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, said Tuesday that Mexico accepted Bush's statement that the sending in the National Guard didn't mean militarizing the area. He also said Mexico remained "optimistic" that the U.S. Senate would approve an immigration reform "in the interests of both countries."

Aguilar noted that Bush expressed support for the legalization of some immigrants and implementation of a guest worker program.

"This is definitely not a militarization," said Aguilar, who also dismissed as "absolutely false" rumors that Mexico would send its own troops to the border in response.

Bush has said sending the National Guard is intended as a stopgap measure while the Border Patrol builds up resources to more effectively secure the border.

In Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Honduran Antonio Auriel said he would make it into the U.S.

"Soldiers on the border? That won't stop me," he said. "I'll swim the river and jump the wall. I'm going to arrive in the United States."

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I don't see anything wrong with the National Guard helping the border patrol. I have nothing wrong with someone who comes into this country legally. If they did it, everyone else can wait there turn to come in legally too. I don't care if it takes them years to do it.

Rick

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am not sure that would be possible. How does one countries Government sue another in a jurisdicional court of law? Mexico acts like they are so worried about an Immigrant getting hurt or killed by a National Gaurd trooper, but deos not have the same worry when it comes to illegal immigrants dying of heat exhaustion in the desert.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

And over something the U.S. has every right to do. National Guard or deputizing old women with pointy ended umbrellas, it's our country to do as we please on our own borders.

If they actually did sue and it was accepted in U.S. courts, I think we should hold a national riot.

Maybe Mexio should just quit encouraging its citizenry to immigrate to the U.S. illegally.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

why detain? use megaphones to tell them to go back in spanish.. if they don't, shoot them. Don't see ANY reason to detain anyone.

j

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What Mexico would do is probably gat an oganization like the ACLU (or some other pro-illigal immigration group) here in America to file a law suite, in order to stop the deployment. Even if there were a court decision stopping the deployment of Nantional Guard, it could be easily thwarted by either having the President or a state Govener declare a "state of emergency".

My guess is Mexico will get the ACLU (or some other pro-illigal immigration group) here in America to threaten to file a law suite, in order to test the waters, and see if any Governer threatens to declare a "state of emergency". Once the Mexican Government see's what reaction they get, this will determine wether they go trough with the suite or not.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed, 110% :bow:

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You know the funny part (well not real funny) is They do pretty much just that on Their southern border.

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

X2 :thumb:

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

"If there is a real wave of rights abuses, if we see the National Guard starting to directly participate in detaining people ... we would immediately start filing lawsuits through our consulates," Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said in an interview...

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

The only thing more cruel than shooting the illegal immigrants coming from the southern Mexican border is the concentration camps they put the Central American immigrants in..... Talk about hypocrisy at its finest...

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would rather be caught here , than there in Southern Mexico , if I was from Central America .

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What do You expect. The Mexican Government is run by the drug cartels and make life pretty sh!tty for the Mexican people. I don't blame the Mexican people I would be trying to get out of that sh!t hole Myself. The fact of the matter is that it's gonna hurt us in the long run and Our Government seems to not care. I think Bush dropped the ball by not shutting down the border on 9-12-01 and then letting the situation fester.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Or the fact that if say a Honduran National crossed the US/Mexican border into the US that the Mexican Goverment will not allow that person to be sent back across. Pretty much a "it's your problem now deal with it" attitude.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hell yes.

Mixed amongst our population of illegals is a large number of Guatamalans. Of course along with their Mexican counterparts, they tend to engage in the same stupidity, but there's some hatred there. Last one I took to court, we had a break for some reason or another. The judge stayed in the courtroom, and of course we had the translator there, so he started asking this guy about his travels up here. You could smell the fear emanating from his body speaking about Mexico.

I haven't heard anything about the camps that Desert Rat spoke of, but that would not surprise me in the least.

There's gonna be a time that we'll need to bend the Mexican government over and whallop it's bare ass with the Whooping Board of Doom, going for the fence and I do believe that time has past.

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the words of an invader to me

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

That's how they do (or did) it in Russia. I work with a guy from the Ukraine, he was in the Russian Army in the early '80's, his post was on the Chinese border. He said, when a chinese tried to crosss the border, they would flash a spotlight on them, if they didn't turn around, they shot them in a non-lethal area, leg or whatnot, if they kept coming, they got one to the head. Even with that, the chinese kept trying to cross the border.....

Like Corey, I don't blame the Mexicans one bit for trying to get out of that craphole, I blame our lax government.

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

True, I read somewhere that the Mexican government deports everyone they catch and alot of them get robbed, murdered or raped when they catch them in southern Mexico

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

invader = criminal, and criminals are not productive new members of society.

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So why is nothing ever done about the human rights violations by the Mexican goverment? Sure We're not perfect but We dont hold a candle to them.