Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Meyers snow plow hydro question! HOW MUCH FLUID?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Jan 21, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, OK, I didn't want to post this in the Garage or in NON 4x4 related so I'm posting in here. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

OK, I went out to clean off the driveways and the pump is hard going up (makes the noise like its working but the pump doesn't go up). It will go up a little after a few seconds or if you jog it up. It goes down fine, but it will not turn side to side too well.

Any ideas, how do I trouble shoot something like this?
    ***How much fluid do I need to drain and refill the pump and lines?***
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Meyers snow plow hydro question! makes noise but does nothing

Ok, The three things that I can think could be wrong with it:
    1) The electric motor needs a cleaning. The motor that's mounted on the unit...take the top cover off of it. (At least Western units have a cover you can take off) Then, with light sandpaper, clean off the contacts. You'll know exactly what this means once you get the cover off and look inside. I usually do this once a year with mine. Moisture gets inside the motor and rust develops on those parts. Clean 'em up and your motor will be good as new.
    2) Hydraulic pump going out. That's why you're not getting good lift. It's going to go down easily, because all down is, is the hydralic pressure being relieved. The weight of the plow pulls the ram back into the unit. If the pump is bad...I really don't know what to tell you - never dealt with that.
    3) Cables out of adjustment. Adjust accordingly - do you have the manual. Whatever you do, keep your toes out from underneath the blade. 2 years back I was inches from losing some little guys.

You might want to try www.chuckschevytruckpages.com - they have info about plows, and message boards I believe as well.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A buddy had this happen last snow storm. Eventually he lost side to side as well. It turned out to be a blown seal. He bought a rebuild kit at the local shop and rebuild the pump assembly in an afternoon. So far so good.
    Hope this helps. I also second the reference to chuck's chevy truck page.

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

you might want to check these guys out.. TroubleShooting Guide They seem reasonable on their parts Meyers Parts as well.

5. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

is there enough fluid in it? is it losing it somewhere?

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I run a Diamond at work (repackaged Meyers). There's some decent basic troubleshooting on the web. But to me, it sounds like you're low on fluid and/or frozen. Are you using snowplow fluid or hydraulic oil? The snowplow stuff is supposed to have some additives to dissipate water that inevitably gets into the fluid (then freezes). Also check your switches. I wasted a day trying to figure out why ours stopped working. The switch lost continuity on (just one) side of the LIFT contacts. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The wires like to fall out of the holders too /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. jjlaughner

8. jjlaughner

Awsome links! These are going on my website!
    I was hoping it was the fluid and that chart points all indicators to fluid!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

I'm going to replace the fluid if it leaks out again I might need to do the seal kit, I found a few on ebay for about $20, sound about right?
    Thanks

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

They're over in Ohio as well, so shipping shouldn't be a nightmare should you order from them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I got a few things a couple years back and they're good to deal with.
    What part of Ind? I'm originally from that little college town... South Bend?

11. jjlaughner

I live in Frankfort, IN... Work in INDY, went to college at Ball State in Muncie /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Got my own little triangle going 65-28-69