Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Miami Ink

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 19, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not looking forward to it too much. As if tattoos weren't considered pop-culture enough. I hate when people say "well I guess tattoos are your generations things" in response to mine. I guess in many ways its true, just not why I do it. Oh well, bet there will be a rash of people with "Miami Ink" shirts and old people(no offense folks) getting tattoos.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Whats the skinny on this show?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Reality show of a tattoo shop that is just opening(on the show anyway) in Miami.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can't say anything bad about it so far... at first I was scared he was going to tattoo in the shop all messy, but I think that was dramatized, cause everything looked clean and sterile to me.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sharpie? Never seen that used, only body specific markers(surgical markers). Anyone know if a Sharpie is safe to be getting into an open wound?

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I was wondering the same thing. I assume you're referring to the part where the guy misspelled the word he got put on his forearm. never saw anyone tattoo directly on sharpie ink.

I didn't think much of the tat to begin with, and the thickening of the letters to make it match the repair made it look worse. I guess he was happy with the outcome, what do I know.

The big dude with the bodysuit had some nice work.

Tom

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

They had a stack of sharpies at a few points, used one on that chick with the religious piece she wanted covered.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah.. I guess I do remember that. I wasn't too crazy about the cover up they finally came up with. ( the woman's head ) I liked the one they were playing with, that looked like a serpent with a heart. I prefer animals in my tats to people. I don't envy guys that have to creatively undo someone elses mistake .. good cover up guys are hard to find.

Tom

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I don't have any tats, nor am I getting any! I've seen good ones and bad ones (I know and hang out with a lot of bikers), I don't think sharpes are steral enough for me to like the Idea.

I'm believe in the golden rule, if God wanted me to have markings all over my body, he would have put them there himself.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Big thing is, I wonder if he through that marker out... he drew upto and onto a brand new, fresh tattoo(read: OPEN WOUND).

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Yup.. good way to infect something.

I only saw the show from the point where the drag queen got that girl done on his arm.. did you notice an autoclave in the shop, or them using only new needles?

In all of their cut away MTV type photography, I didn't see them making a point of any safety / sterility issues.

Not good TV I realize, but I think it's important to teach people what conditions to insist on before they have work done.. that's just me.

Tom

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Like I always say... I know my body is a temple.. I just thought I'd decorate it a little.

Tom

13. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, it did show the apprentice (YOSHI?) using an autoclave and it showed packages of new needles. Everyone seemed to have a good personality except the bald guy.

14. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, what was with the bald guy telling the apprentice that he couldnt get a tatto on his head??? I think he is just on a power trip. Yeah they did show them using an autoclave, the only unsteril thing I seen them do was use that sharpie on an open wound and then continue to tatoo over it.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah that whole, no to the head tattoo was a little stupid. He thought it would scare away customers, but its a tattoo shop for chrissake.

THey didn't even bother saying what needles he used for that Hawaii tattoo. He was saying "needle choice is really important", then he just started tattooing. I think it was about a 3 needle, but I'd like to know, even if I'm the only one in the world who cares.