Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mice and Ants

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jun 9, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My mice problem has reappeared, joined by black ants. Not cool damnit :mad: Every time I leave my room I find at least one ant to kill. Only spotted one mouse but plenty of poop, and one cleaned off a trap in the last 24 hours. Problem is, having ants and mice is a bad combo. I put out traps with peanut butter and chocolate on them, guess what, ants love them :mad: Time to call the landlord and tell him we need a visit from the exterminator.

2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

be careful about the hog. If not for him or if little kids there are all kinds of posion for them.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hair spray and a cigarette lighter will get 'em.!!! :p:

Or better yet, borrow some of Bubba's C-4 stuck vehicle extreme extractor.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Use those super sticky pads. Its kind of a cruel way to get them but hey they shouldnt have been there in the first place. We used them when we had a mice problem and the first one we put out ended up having 9 mice on in : :blush:

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

Not as fun as watching them get their head cut in half with a trap though. That'll bring in some ants too I guess.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Those work great

I had full on mouse molocaust one night involving a .22 Rifle, a burning barrel, and a giant sticky pad

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

time for the weapons of mass destruction to be deployed. I had a nasty box elder beetle infestation last year... its just a matter of getting the right chemicals to spray. I tried about 3 different kinds and nothing even slowed them down, I went up to dads pad and told him that they were indestructable... chemical proof. Staying focused on the TV, he absentmindedly said "nothing is chemical proof son". classic dad. ;) anyway, we finally got some kick azz anti-bug spray concentrate that could kill them. They don't like it at ALL. :)

j

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had that exact problem once, then I got chickens and cats... :p:

9. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No mice,but the ANTS are back....

We have 2 indoor cats,and 15 "outdoor" strays hanging around,so no mice in the house(yet)--but the damm mice are building nests in all my lawn mower and tractors engines--I already destroyed one riding mower by running it when its engine was clogged with mouse nest and mice and it overheated so bad it seized up... :angry1: its a PITA to take all the shrouds off an engine and clean out the mice every year...

NOW the damm ants are invading our house--it was fine when it was cool and rainy all "spring"--but since sunday its been 90 degrees,and now the population of every insect known to man has exploded!--we have so many "tent cattepillars" here you can hear their S*** falling out of the trees like raindrops,and it sticks to your cars like glue--and there is a cattepillar for every square inch crawling on everything--including ME! :eek: :yikes: :yikes: ....but the ants piss me off the most!--I cant spray anything on them because of the cats!...dont want to kill my pets.. :frown1: nothing worse than ants crawling on you in bed! :mad:

We went shopping for "ant cups" and a box of Borax--ants HATE Borax,and I think it works better than bug spray to get rid of them...I hope it works fast--I'm tired of finding them in my cereal box,and having to fight them off everytime I try to eat something... :angry1: --I wonder what GOOD ants do??--I think they suck,and are only here to bother humans!..I'm ready to buy an anteater!... :crazy:

11. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Are there any trees touching the house? Ants love to come in from branches lying on the roof and such. We had the same problem and after the branches were trimmed I only see one every now and then...

12. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Diazinon (sp?) around your house will stop your ant problem if you have no trees touching the house... I put it on all the ant hills I find, and the next day, no ants...

Box Elder problems?? blow bubbles at them.... not really, but dish soap and water in a spray bottle will eliminate them fast.... same for bees and the whole hornet/wasp family... if all else fails, Ant and Roach spray or Hornet spray should do the job.

Mice, Ruby may not like it, but borrow someone's cat for a few days... after they stop hiding in your house from being in a new house, they will exterminate at least 5 mice per day... Husky's work really well too if you've got any that are laying around the house =)

Last night I got to my parents' house and let Loki out in the back yard... 15 seconds later, a rabbit flew by me (in the front yard) and Loki hit the fence full force... I said "Almost got him buddy"... when I went to the back yard to check on him, he was eatting the baby bunnies out of the hole... he got 2 that I saw... three more in the hole and milk all over the ground either from the babies being forcefully ripped away from mommy when she ran or being crunched by a 60lb dog. =)

Instinctual behavior is amazing... put a dog in a house with cats, and they want to play all the time... put him outside with rabbits and squirrels and watch the havoc. =)

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

What i have in my ant killer that i use around the dog pins. It also keeps fleas down. I do not have little kids and just a spaniel that is smart enough not to mess with it. Outside the granular kind works better. Inside it don't matter. But i put some around under the sofa and behind things very now and then just like outside and never have a problem. Just make sure to clean real well if little ones that play on the floor are coming. Even the puppies do not see to mess with it. That will do the ants in. Ants also love to eat termites so check for them. The cat thing is the best thing for mice. And most cats like to share the kill with you and leave them for presents around.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going to call the landlord. I killed at least 6 ants while sitting on the toilet last night(thats just not cool). Some odd reason they love my bathroom. No food there for htem, thinking they come in through the space in my "linen closet" thats by the floor. No idea really. have a bunch of ant traps but finding smashing them by hand to be best.

Ruby is my anti-bug animal. Afterall the hedgehog species classification is "Insectivore". I think thats why I haven't seen anything in my room yet. I'll let her loose in the kitchen and bathroom for a bit today.

15. diesel4me

No trees touching...

No trees touching the house!..spread the borax around,so far its cut down the number of ants I've had to squish,but there are still a few around--there is more in my shop than the house,but I can spray them out there....

I"d still like to get an anteater.... :thinking: and something that eats spiders too!--I killed 3 spiders as big as my hand in the past week!--I think they were brown recluse spiders,or a "wood" spider--all I know is I HATE spiders!! :yikes: :yikes: --especially BIG ones! :yikes: ..snakes dont bother me much,after the initial shock of seeing one has passed...I'd rather have snakes,and no mice in my mower engines!..but the cats kill the snakes for the most part... :confused:

..and something that eats those dam cattepillers!!!--- that are EVERYWHERE....big,3 inch long,3/8 of an inch thick.fuzzy with blue spots and yellow spots,(gypsy moth maybe,or something new from China?)....no bird or anything else seems to eat more than 1 of them,looks like they have NO natural enemies here!...spent 10 minites outside,and I had 5 of them on me when I came in the house(my cat saw them before I did) they leave a nice yellow mucus stain of guts if you squish one that wont wash out...SOB'S!!!! :mad: now the couch has catepiller gut stains on it... :mad: :mad: DAMM BUGS! AARRRGGHHHHH@! :crazy:

16. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Yeah, some mice indoors, but cat gets most of them. Don't get many ants until the carpender ants show up. NOW, here we get spiders! :eek: hate spiders! :mad1: spiders in bed.....THAT sucks!!

17. diesel4me

Spiders suck!!

We had at least 2 incidents in my town with Black Widow spiders that were found in bunches of grapes imported from california!!--the 2 housewives found them while washing the grapes off in the sink! :yikes: :yikes: !--luckily no one was bitten!...they say EVERY spider has at least SOME venom in them,and I believe it-

-I've been bitten by a few while sleeping,and it hurts pretty bad!--kinda like a burn and a puncture wound all at the same time--my bedroom is in the basement,so I'm in spider heaven down there...I'm glad one of my indoor cats loves to stalk and kill them--I was a bit concerned they might poison the cat if he eats them--but he's eaten a lot of them,and so far no ill effects..hope he gets all of them!. :crazy: