Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MICE IN MY GARAGE!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

We live in a townhouse with an attached garage off the basement. Well, tonight I went down to the garage to prep my ice fishing gear and, lo and behold, there were mouse turds in my bucket. This led to a thorough rip-and-tear thru the garage which in turn led to the discovery of a nest in a box of old toys under the workbench. I managed to chase a couple of the varmints out and I'm pretty sure there's none left.

Which leads me to my question: Does anybody have any GOOD advice about dealing with mice? Any surefire methods of killing the suckers? Are there any "strategies" that you guys have developed to keep mice away?

This may sound a little comical, but I've NEVER had to deal with mice before, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

We get them every year when the weather turns crappy. We just get out the traps, if they are small ones you'll need the sticky traps that they run through, and place them along the outter edge of the garage, thats their paths. After we catch one or two, they don't hang around.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for the quick reply, Jeremy!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif My first stop tomorrow will be the local hardware store for a case of mousetraps. I don't know what a "small" mouse looks like, though, so maybe I'll get a case of normal traps and a case of the sticky traps, too.

Keep the suggestions coming boys. If I can't get this problem solved, it may be weeks before I get lucky again/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif, because I just found out that my wife has a BIG problem with mice......

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I was a manager for a Pest Control company for 4 years.. This is the best way to get them. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ratzapper.com/>http://www.ratzapper.com/</a> It says they list for $49.95.. But you can find a local dealer and they are cheaper.. We started using these things a few months before I left the Co. After that I went out a bought some.. They work great.. I don't like posions our traps with my kids.. And glue boards don't work when it gets cold...Dan

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Just a bit of advice sticky traps are not good to use. Neighbor had a dog find one and it picked it up and was chewing on it because it had a nice scent to it... dog got it stuck in the throat and suffocated... as for us we had them years ago and the cat found the mouse on the paper stuggling and played with it and the paper stuck to the cat... the mouse bit the crap outta the cat because of the paper being on it and the vet bill was big bucks... anyhow I avoid them for those reasons not to mention they make the mouse die of starvation and dehydration... if I am gonna kill em I want it fast, not long and drawn out for them even if they are just mice.......

6. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i like my way of doing it.. I got a python that will take care of that problem for you... now you will just need to find out how to get rid of the snake after that.. hehehehhehehe/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

What kind of python? Ive got a Ball thats about 6 months old.

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Poison the little rat bastards. A couple bucks of mousebait and put them in a place safe from children. The mice love that stuff and go away and die. I was afraid I'ld poison the cat with a poisoned mouse but it never happened. Haven't seen a mouse in the house since.

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

But where are they dying?????

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I dunno, probably in my wallboards or something (gross thought) I'ld prefer to think they went to mousy heaven.

tom

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Sure that'll smell good when it gets warm.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> There is a method to killing them that has to do with a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water and they climb in there and drown......... I'm not sure of the exact details but I know that it works better than anything else. I've heard that you can't keep the bucket empty........ I'll try and find out more about it for you.

14. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

The bucket trick uses a piece of dowel on a piviot that goes across the mouth of the bucket. Put a little platform made out of sheet metal on the muddle of the bucket. Put some peanut butter on the platform and make sure the whole thing rotates freely. Fill the bucket half way full and leave it there. The mice climb down the dowel onto the platform and when they eat they loose their balance and cannot hang onto anything, so they fall into the bucket and drown.

15. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Could use a hint of antifreeze out there in the bucket to attract them. Then either let them drown or drink it.

Or you could get a pellet gun and put on the scent absorbing camouflage and sit there and snipe 'em. Might be interesting.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Anyone ever heard of a Cat??
    They are a 4 legged animal that eat varmits like crazy.
    Mine keeps my garage totally rodent free. He even knows whe one gets in before I do. he will stay in there till the job is done and the remains are eaten.

17. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

What kind of python? Ive got a Ball thats about 6 months old

<hr></blockquote>

Only snake i have left is my full grown adult ball python... I use to have 3 balls, a red tail boa, and a bermesse python... but got rid of all but the adult ball... As for your 6 mnth old snake i hope you take it out of the cage and handle it so it ends up being tame...

18. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

well for an old mountain remedy... get a box of mothballs and a bag of rock salt... and spread around the parimitter of the house on the outside if you blocked in on either side by other town houses just put it on the inside edge in the garage... the smell of the mothballs will keep most critters away..especially snakes.. and the salt works on most bugs....burns them when they cross it....

19. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I try to get him out atleast every other day. He does great with people. How big is your adult?

20. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

in reply to "where are they dying?"

most poisons are activated by injestion of water. basically, the mouse eats his dinner...goes for a drink...and WHAM! no more mickey!!!
    i use the poison in my garage out back and have no problems with the little farts. my garage backs up to a horse pasture with old barns. when i first moved in i lost 2 fishing nets to the little farts, but not anymore.
    good luck!

or send me all your fishing gear and i'll stow it away in my garage for ya. no charge!