Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Michelin/Military xl 11.00/16

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chromewontgetyouhome, Sep 22, 2004.

1. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

38"? Thats a small michelin, what about the 52's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO it would be wise to choose a slightly less agressive michelin for road use.

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Speaking from personal experience, I had a set of 12.5R20s on my old 89 K5 and they rode smooth as glass. Also they wear like iron on light weight vehicles and they are regroovable when they wear down. Excellent tire IMHO for the DD and offroader. Far superior than a Super Swamper. The tire is actually round. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

How does the sizing work on those? How would I find out width and overall height?

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ditto on what Eric said.

My used,unbalanced surplus 11.00R16s run waaaay smoother than my old 37" SSRs.They are super quiet in comparison also.

7. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

those seem awsome do they make them any smaller?

8. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

also how fast do you think those are speed rated for? id need to go at least 90

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    also how fast do you think those are speed rated for? id need to go at least 90

[/ QUOTE ]

62 mph I believe.

Most people report that above 75, they wear FAST!!!!

10. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

they are supposed to be 38.7" tall
    mine are 38" rear 37.8" front on 16x7" rims @ 60psi.
    tires are 4520lbs @ 80psi load range "e"
    the tread is almost 12" wide

i have run mine since new.

i run them as fast as 75mph. they dont seem to be wearing fast, but what do i know? i actually own them. i will add they are round,smooth and quiet.

in 4 months i have put 4800 highway miles on them (3 days a week). so my opinions are not as good as third hand information from people that think the tires are junk and cant afford to buy them.

im going outside to tell my tires they suck.

they make 900x16 michelins too, and they are almost 35" and 10" tread

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    62 mph I believe.

Most people report that above 75, they wear FAST!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I don't know where you get your info from, but that's the biggest load of crap I've heard in awhile.

Also the max speed limit that Michelin post on their spec sheets is for the tire under full load. So if each tire was under it's maxium weight, I don't think anyone would have the stones enough to drive the truck under that much weight over the maxium speed. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Michelin doesn't even make the tire (xl tread) anymore, at least not for the US market.

12. mcinfantry

the war(s) have taken the XL from the market. they may return, if/when the war ends

the 1100x16 xl is current issue for the USMC LAV. that particular size is being replaced with the 20's. as a result more USED xl's are coming out.

4x 4520 = 18000lbs for load rating. my truck is a little over 1/3 of that.

update: i told my tires they suck, and they just looked at me.... i could see them smile /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never said your tires sucked. If I ever build a truck to drive on the street, I will definitely run Michelins, likely XMLs.

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Frizz,

[​IMG]
    Lookin' good!... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Marv

15. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Actually, the XZL is an even better choice for a Michelin that sees alot of road use. I would know. As for tire speed and wear, here is what I have heard, from the engineers of the tires AT Michelin. (My dad is in the mining equipment business so he knows the Michelin people very well) Tire wear, not counting weight, is exponential to road speed. So if you drive at 30mph, your tire will wear at a rate of X, if you drive at 60 mph, your tire will wear at a rate much faster than 2X. So the higher the speed you go, the faster it will wear. This is coming straight from Michelin engineers. Plain and simple the faster you go, the faster it wears. I have 335 80 R20 XZLs on my 94 F350, and after 15,000 miles of driving, with a truck that weighs 8k empty, and was often towing a trailer, my tires are still in very good condition. I never run over 65 mph though, and yes it does hurt sometimes on long stretches of highway. But running 70 or 75 wouldnt get me there much faster anyway....I do agree 150% about them being a world of difference better than Swampers on the road. I had TSL for 7500 miles, and they were damn near half gone by the time I got the Michelins. XL, XML, or XZL, it doesnt matter, if you are running on the road, you wont be let down with a Michelin.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Jason,

Your truck is the main reason I'm so impressed with the michelins other than seeing a guy run them in UROC.

I'm really unimpressed by the ones on your mog not seeming to want to grip anything in the rocks, but the ones on your tow rig look BEEFY and I bet they'll last damn near forever.

17. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

so where do you get the other michelins like the xml or zxl all the tires ive seen that i can buy from them look like week road tires? but i just dont know where to look really, im considering mtr, but loved the xl once i saw this post

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing the Michelin would be an excellent tire choice for mud and snow because of the huge tread voids but what about rocks? It looks to me that since they are designed to withstand so much weight that they might not flex good at all (and the fact that they are so thick of a carcass). Correct me if I'm wrong plz thats just what it would seem like to me.

20. mcinfantry

0 psi, NO RUNFLATS. the valve stem, and puller are on the hub...look close 3780lbs on the front axle. as a result of this pic, i dont carry a spare

[​IMG]