Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Michellins on a DD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WinslowS, Jan 28, 2007.

1. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt rear ate a pinion seal, and when I went to change it, I realized that the pinion yoke has a lot of play in it. My dad and I think its the pinion bearings. We noticed the gear oil resembled grayish chocolate syrup, so we decided to pull the cover. It was full to the top of this mixture, we think it blew the bearings when I got stuck in a mudhole a week or two ago, and then muddy water leaked in through the seal. We also discovered that although my vin had the G80 code, there was no Govlock, but an open diff. We were gonna try to fix it ourselves or replace the rearend(until the junkyard quoted me $550 for a rear 10 bolt 3.73!!), but Ive started to wonder if a 3/4 ton swap might make sense. I have a set of 16-7 stock rims of a 3/4 ton suburban my parents had, and I saw on the Muddevils site that someone had a bunch of 11R16 Michellins (38'' tall) for around 150 a set for new. So I was wondering if anyone drove with Michellins on their DD, my driving normally does not go over 45-50 mph, and my wheeling consists of trails and mud.

2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

A 3/4 ton swap will make more sense; you can pick up a D44/14BFF combo with 4.10's for around $300-400 depending on condition. Don't know anything about the Michelins though...

3. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Steve Kibbe has a set of 3/4 ton axles with 4.10s, partial disk brakes, for sale that I might get, also maybe 38.5 gumbo mudders on 8 lug rims...