Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MICHIGAN spring meet and greet. JUNE 5th

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, May 27, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

just over a week away. whos going and whos ready? are we gonna meet somewhere, then drive the the park, or just meet at the park?
    Map to the mounds

they open at 8am and i plan on being there when they open the gates. its $9/day for a non resident $6/day for a resident of genesee county. ORV sticker is required.

post up on whos going. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

Hey Bro,I'd go but i don't think the truck would like me much for.i'd like to though once i get the tranny thing squared away.14ff/d44-4.10's going in soon.i want to be SURE it's ready for the abuse.KWIM?

3. roostr34

roostr34 Registered Member

I am still gonna try, gettin married this sat. still has to be broken in yet.

4. big83chevy4x4

congrads on getting married /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif im going up to silver lake this weekend to "test" out my truck, hopefully i don't break anything. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif hope you can make it.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my truck isn't ready yet, ran into some problems with my car, and gas prices i wasn't expecting. Or else id be there for sure

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I will be there. Been taking care of little details all week. Look for a clean Blue/Silver two-tone Jimmy on 35's

Looking forward to checking out everybody's rigs.

Even if you guys don't have running trucks, come anyway and ride with somebody else.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

wish i could go but cant /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

not working and would need at least tires to do a 3-4 hour trip to go wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

boggerless lets try to meet up next time i come down /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Blue85

ttt

Come on everybody, let's go wheeling.

I think it's gonna be WET out there with all the recent rain and flooding. I got all my vent lines moved up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Blue85

I went today. Check out my pics:

This is just a shameless poser shot before getting dirty
    [​IMG]

Now here's a picture of my wheelin' babe. Couldn't resist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

Now here I'm stuck. I was trying to take a line a little to the left and the mud vacuum sucked me in. There is at least 4' of water in here, don't know how much more...

[​IMG]

The other side of that stuck...

[​IMG]

There is a drop-off into this water hole, so the rear diff was holding me in.

Here are some stuck trucks. This jeep was on 31's and couldn't make it up this trail. He had to be pulled twice.

[​IMG]

This Bronco was in this hole for 4 days before this extraction. We were jacking it up to put wood under the tires. It was finally pulled out by a Chevy on 42's. This Bronco had no business on this trail with 31" Sport Kings (they may have been even smaller) and stock suspension.
    [​IMG]

10. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am still gonna try, gettin married this sat. still has to be broken in yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Blazer or your wife? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So how was it tooling around in the slimey [darn] we call the Mounds? Have they started construction yet?

The Mounds pretty much consists of really deep water holes found in clay or sand for people that haven't been there before. It was awesome like 6 or 7 years ago when you could use the entire property. But it pales in comparison to UP wheelin'.

I knew that red XJ with the tire on the roof looked familiar... and I figured it was Sean... so I went and looked on one of the forums he hangs out on...
    Be very skeered, it be a Heep link with more pictures.

12. big83chevy4x4

nice pics, just got back from silver lake. had some funny noises coming from my front end. ill pull it apart monday and see whats up.
    hopefully i have a chance with my truck, stock k20 with bald bfg ATs /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Can you camp out at the Mounds or is there some campgrounds near by? I've never been there, we normally go to Silver Lake. How many acres is there to ride on their web site it doesn't say....unless I missed something!

14. big83chevy4x4

ive heard its like about 250 acres. im sure there is a campground around there. never been there, so i don't know

15. Blue85

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a campground not too far away... I forget what it is called.

I think there are like 180 acres you can actually drive on. The park used to be an entire square mile... but a good chunk of it is covered with lakes. Years ago they made new rules so you couldn't cross any moving water which cut the park in half and then they started fencing parts off.

In the olden days... the only fence was around the perimeter. The "parking area" was gravel full of chuckholes that got giant puddles in it when it rained. No fence. No booth. The DNR opened the entrance at 8am and closed it sometime around dark. Only once did I see a DNR guy out there. Back in the day I used to load my quad in the truck I used to ride a wheelie out in the lake just like everyone else to get the Mounds mud off... now it's hard to find any water. A lot of the bowls were filled in a while back...

17. Blue85

[ QUOTE ]
    had some funny noises coming from my front end.

[/ QUOTE ] I had some strange noises coming from the front on Saturday making me wonder if I broke a hub. It turns out I just had a rock stuck between the caliper and the backing plate, hitting against the wheel.

Then I had some funny noises coming from my rear end and I realized it was just something I had eaten for breakfast /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

OK, that second part I made up.

You don't necessarily need good tires, just good recovery points!

18. big83chevy4x4

front recovery points are good and plentiful, have 2 clevis' on my bumper and 2 tow hooks, nothing on the rear. im gonna move the hooks to the rear, till i can get my rear bumper done. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

the funny noise was the flange on the output of my 208, its loose again. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

i looked at the ORV book i have and there are two camp grounds near by, one preaty much right next door to the east, another a few miles down the road to the east. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

hey,hey i'm back. the PC was down anyway i was wondering the same thing.i guess we could all just meet there so no one has to look for a place to meet and then go there?i don't think my truck will be done either.i still need the rear drive shaft lengthened and stupid little things.so i'll probably use the SD and bring a bunch of pics of JR.it's rained so much i can't get S#IT done /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. man i'm looking forward to this.my SD is green with slowly turning bald bogger's. and an aluminum box. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. big83chevy4x4

ive been wondering where you've been, too bad you can't get it done in time. i still have 2 little things to do, and im good. what time we gonna meet?