Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mickey T Baja Belteds, tread wear? opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 27, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone have some opinions on Mickey T Baja Belteds? How long do they last? Looking for a 15k+ tire. How about in the mud and trails? Mostly run mud and it is my daily driver. Not too worried about tires noise, need an excuse for a better sound system /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I am thinking 36x14.50 15s for my K5.

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I only got about 20,000 from the set I ran and they weren't the smoothest running tire i've deen either.If noise doesn't matter I'd go for Swamper radials or SSRs myself,or mabey the new Goodyears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

had a set some time back.they wear ok,better than a swamper.probally about like a gumbo mudder.as with any wide tire,they will probally make the truck pull all over the place from the increase in track width,and imperfections in the road.they dont like mud.they dont "self clean"well.good trail and sand tire.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm well mud is my main thing, I know a guy with a set on his truck and he said they were horrible in the snow so I was expecting to hear that about the mud. I kind of want something more aggressive than an SSR, but I am considering 37x12.50 SSRs or 36x12.50 TSL Radials, or 38x12.50 TSLs.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I posted up about this awhile ago, and got a lot of MT supporters, but I think they are awful tires. I had a set on a Land Cruiser, and they were wandering, flat spotting, bad-wearing bitches. I would personally never own a Mickey Thompson bias tire (specifically Baja Belted) again.

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I kind of want something more aggressive than an SSR, but I am considering 37x12.50 SSRs or 36x12.50 TSL Radials, or 38x12.50 TSLs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggressive and good wear characteristcs are usually mutually exclusive properties. The SSR or Radial TSL are great street tires, do very well in mud and on rocks (Radial TSL's lose ground to the SSR's in snow), and wear great. Standard TSL's suffer from the same maladaies that all bias tires do-flat spotting, wandering, and short treadlife.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Reg TSLs do wear sorta quick,but,I got over 30,000 each from all three sets of SXs I've run with a lot of highway miles in that#. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just read your reply and want to add I've been running TSLsfor my last three sets and have been happy with them.I'm running 12.50x38s up front with 16x38.5s on the rear.The narrow tire drives better than a wide one.They do take a few miles to smooth out though.don't rotate mine so the size diff is no prob.I like the hotrod look of the wide rear narrow front too.Get around 20-25,000 miles to set,on third set now.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

some 37x13 boggers would be real nice, but it is my daily driver and I doubt that would be a good idea. I wish there was a 36x14.50 TSL Radial that was a little cheaper, I think its almost $250 each right now.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

They are certainly not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I would rather spend the money later and get a better tire, than drop 3/4 as much cash now and be replacing tires in 6 months. I would never try and steer you away from any Interco product. I am a HUGE fan of their stuff, I just believe that for intended purposes, each tire has its own place. And for most bias Intercos, that place is not on the street. If you want something CHEAP, and evidently GOOD, tirerack.com has 37x12.50R15 Goodyear MT/R's for $169 apiece. I priced a set delivered to my door, and it was under $750. I have yet to hear any bad things about the MT/R.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow I really wanted MT/Rs but they are expensive everywhere else.

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second goodyear Mtr's I really like mine(37x12.50-15's) they wear good and don't "road walk" I'd stay away from a wide tire like a baja belted for winter use traction in the snow would suck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wasn't expecting whatever tires I got to last till next winter so I wasn't raelly worrying about that. I am certain now the MT/Rs are the way I am gonna go. I wish BFG made 37x12.50 Mud Terrains in a 15" rim, $300 something a tire for 37s that need 17" rims aren't my idea of good. The MT/Rs are $730 shipped to my door /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Check THIS out.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes I already did and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for telling me about this. These babies are definetally my tires! I wanted MT/Rs but most places seem to be over 200 just for 35s. 37x12.50s delivered $730!!!!! This made my day /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. yellowK20

I had 35x12.50-15 Bfg-Mt's before my Mtr's And I really liked them alot but the Mtr's are better in my opinoin I have about 10,000 miles on my Mtr's and they still have over half tread on the rear and about 3/4 tread on the front ( I know I "shold" rotate them ) I plan on buying the 40" mtr's when they come out /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

bias tires,especially swampers arent very round.getting them trued(shaved on a special machine to make them perfectly round) when new adds a bunch of miles to there life.if they ever spin on the rim or are dismounted,you have to do it again.last time i had a set trued it was like $120.its worth it for the diference in ride and treadlife.

18. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Anyone there carry KUMOS?12.50x15s were about $140 each here.Looks like good tread and 3ply sidewalls seem like a good allround tire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. yellowK20

A buddy of mine runs 33x12.50-15's on his stock 93 f-150 he likes them they work good in the mud price was good also I think he paid 120 a piece mounted and balanced /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif