Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mickey Thompson Baja Belted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheAustrian, Nov 25, 2006.

1. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

Have some questions for Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tyres.

Are they MT's or AT's and how good are they? I always red that they are especially strong built, tuff and withstand even very hard and rugged terrain. Is that true?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Taggen mein Fruend!

Vie Geheits! Welkommen! Die reifen aus Mickey Thompson Baja ist nicht gut fur das beschmutzung. Zu absicht festharen. Ich empfehlen die Swamper TSL oder Bogger. Die Mickey's ist fur die sandboden galaende oder auf dem strich. Mein deutsche ist nich zu gut, verziehen ich.

Danke!

Manny

Hey Friend,

Hello! Welcome! The Mickey Thompson Baja's are not got for MUD. You'll get stuck! I recommend Super Swamper TSL's or Boggers. The Mickey's are for sandy conditions or a street tire. Forgive my German, it's not so good.

Thanks!

Manny

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I had the Baja HP's on mine. They were 35 15.5 15's. They were the best tire on the street that I have ever ran. I did ok in the mud if I ran low pressure, but as said it's more of a street/sand tire. The reason I changed was because someone left a flat metal fence post in a mud hole and when I ran over it it cut completely through the tire in about a 14" gap. So in my oppinion they aren't that tough.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

my friend runs them he sad they suck in mud but ill get him to post.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

they are so wide that they do ok as long as you don't sink too deep. Once you are in anything very deep your done.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

whooa, I thought I was on the big dawgs site there for a second:D .

My brother had a set on his Sub (I think it was the Baja Belted), man those 33's were way louder than my 38" swampers.

7. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yep, that would be me, and yea, they do suck in the mud....

8. TheAustrian

@MuddinManny

I am surprised that anyone here can speak german. Don't worry, I well understand what you wrote. The english translation was not necessary ;)

@all

Thanks for your feedback.

I have them already on my Blazer. Usually this size Baja Belted cost here about 500 euro ($ 650) per piece! Redically expensive. But I got a brand new set of 35x14,5 recently for the same price as as new 35 BFGoodrich MT. I find they look much sharper then eny other 35 since they are 14,5 wide and have a very aggressiv tread pattern. I just wanted to know if they are really working on and offroad. At least I find they are not really noisy onroad. The 33 MT Coursair I had where much louder.

But arey they more MT's or AT's?

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Yea I could barely hear mine at all on the street.

10. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well I have them in the 33x14.5r15 flavor, and I`m really not too happy with them. In the mud the treads just cake up, which results in a 33x14.5 slick:crazy: ..I also don`t like them on the road, but i think they`re not radial, which could be the issue there...I found they did well in snow. I think they are more of a dune tire though....

11. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

they are more of an AT tire than an MT tire.

if you are going to drive in mud, you should look at getting a different tire.

do lots of people go fourwheeling in Austria?

12. TheAustrian

well...I think it is not compareable with the situation in the States. I mean, I estimate here in Austria less then 5% doing seriouse fourwheeling. There are a lot of 4WD cars around, becomes more and more popular. But mainly they are suv's and perhaps never see gravel or mud under their tyres except when their owner goes country lane. There are some Off Road Clubs here and there, but very minor compared to lets say bimmer clubs or Volkswagen clubs. They do fourwheeling in some gravel pits or other terrain which is allowed. We are not allowed to go wherever we want because Austria is not so wide country and space is a problem. You can't find any terrain which is lets say nobody's land. Each square meter has an owner :( We have a lot of restrictive laws here which ends fun at beginning.

However, as I mentioned somewhere, most time I will drive on tarmac but as it is my fun-truck for fourwheeling and just to play around with friends an my little daughter, I will also go off road as often as possible. I think the Baja Belted will do a good job for me since I got them cheap and is still a very exotic and cool tyre here. We do not have mud so often, moreover dry and hard soil and gravel and snow in winter. We'll see....;)